Using grow lights

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Most plants that are grown indoors require the right photoperiods. Indoor grow lights make possible to grow plants from seed as well as light loving plants like orchids. Its also possible to make winter time harvests. An indoor lighting system should have the complete rainbow spectrum for maximum productivity, the right light intensity and the duration of light depending on the plants being grown.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I think I have already read in this forum about that grow lights which is a substitute for sunlight. When we were in Singapore late last year, the hotel we stayed in has an indoor garden of lettuce. Yeah, the hotel receptionist said that those lettuce are real and edible such that they eat it. And for the sunlight, I think they are using a grow light (not sure if that is the proper term). For me, an indoor garden is very refreshing to the eyes and it is especially good for those people living in condominium buildings.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have used a regular lamp light to help keep my plants green during the winter months or in a corner where the plant may not receive enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've actually been researching indoor plant lighting a lot recently. I currently use T5 fluorescent lighting for my herb garden (it gets almost no natural light) and it works well. But I have to replace the tubes once or twice a year and they use a lot of electricity compared to some of the other options. I'm actually thinking about switching to a LED light. I found a good blog post about a light that seems perfect and I actually want to ask a question about it, but I can't seem to find it now. If I can find it again, I'll post a separate thread about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I wasn't very successful with my growlight. I was trying to grow from seed, but the plants didn't do too well. I wonder if they were too cold. How do you use a heating mat? Can you make a terrarium over one?

Ask a Question