Use Baking Soda To Kill Weeds

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
How to Kill Weeds With Baking Soda

Baking soda neutralizes the ph in the soil and nothing will grow there. use baking soda around all of the edges of flower beds to keep the grass and weeds from growing into beds. Just sprinkle it onto the soil so that it covers it lightly. Do this twice a year - spring and fall.

I saw this tip on Pinterest the season is almost here we all will be looking for ways to get rid of weeds. I use vinegar in the cracks of the driveway.

Reaction score
Interesting tip, its something that I never would have thought of! I've used vinegar for a variety of issues but haven't tried baking soda on anything. If it gets the grass and weeds off of the edge of the garden then I am all for it! Thanks again for sharing that tip.

Reaction score
Don't know that I would agree that the weed season is almost here Pat - as there are parts of my property that has weeds that are almost as tall as me - which unfortunately I haven't been able to do anything about - due to the extreme weather conditions we've been having - which has made the ground is so sodden - its impossible to stand on :( but thank you for the tip - although I'm not altogether sure that baking soda is going to be very helpful in my case - as I think due to the size and robustness of these weeds - I will be needing something much, much stronger in order to eradicate them.

Although I find the tip very interesting - am a little curious as to what happens - if as the baking soda neutralizes the soil so much that nothing will grow in it - what happens if you want to plant something where the weeds once were :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am forever amazed at the number of things that vinegar and baking soda can do. We have a brick driveway and the ants constantly build hills and the bricks sink. It's a never ending struggle for my husband. I wonder if vinegar will do anything for the problem. I hate him using all those chemicals.

Reaction score
Thank you for the tip! I am going to have to give this a try sometime when planting over the summer. I have never heard of the baking soda method.

Reaction score
I also had not heard, vinegar, yes, used it for a ton of stuff, but baking soda, no. Thanks SO much. It's cheap and comes in big sizes. I will start doing today!

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the great tips on using baking soda. I live in a city where the everyday seems like summer. How often would you recommend me putting the baking soda?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Very helpful, thank you for sharing! The worst part about gardening for me is keeping the beds clean and free from weeds and debris. I am going to try this, and I will let you all know the results I get!

Reaction score
Very interesting thank you so much for this. I'm always worried about using weed killer with my pets and children running around my yard all the time.

Reaction score
Awesome tip, Pat! I had no idea baking soda could be used for that! It never ceases to amaze me hoe many wonderful uses we can give to baking soda! Just amazing! I had heard about the pH regulating action, because I was told that using baking soda with some water to wash your hair from time to time was actually a great way to clean your scalp well and balance your scalp pH! Good to know you can do the same thing with your soil ;)

Reaction score
I am forever amazed at the number of things that vinegar and baking soda can do. We have a brick driveway and the ants constantly build hills and the bricks sink. It's a never ending struggle for my husband. I wonder if vinegar will do anything for the problem. I hate him using all those chemicals.

I'm also amazed! Did you know that we use a mix of vinegar and lemon along some water on our sidewalk, so the neighbor's dogs won't do their business over there anymore!? Yes we do! And it does wonders! Because the dogs have stopped doing their business there! We found the perfect solution and is super cheap!

Ask a Question