"URINE"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Have read some articles about this,was wondering if anyone has tried this,if there are any cons to this method ? ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No, I'm serious you can goggle it,they say we flush millions of tons nutritional minerals :) that can be used,was just wanting to know if anyone has tried it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I was just being a smart a$$. Personally, I've never done it. But I guess being that we're talking about composting and stuff a little urine couldn't really hurt anything. There's chemicals floating around in there though so maybe too much wouldn't be a good idea. I'm sure there's someone who can enlighten us about this subject. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They say it csn be used straight in compost,but diluted. 30:1,40:1 poured in soil around plants:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, regularly take a leak on the compost heap, the nitrogen gets the bacteria started :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You can see the dramatic effects of this, when you see a yard with a dog, this time of year as the lawns get rain and sun and are growing daily. There will be round "crop circles" about 6-10" in diameter, where the grass is MUCH greener, taller and thicker.

When I was a kid, we kept two piles of manure, chicken - known for it's hotness and was to be used sparingly and horse/cow, which was much less vigorous but had copious wet material and usually some hay or sawdust binder from the stall floors.

We have since forgotten that all that manure could easily be reused, correctly. Now a lot of folks just head to their local big box and buy bags of chemicals to do what we know works well, but is "icky".

Reaction score
Have read some articles about this,was wondering if anyone has tried this,if there are any cons to this method ? ?

Although I haven't tried it myself I did do a fair amount of research on this subject several years ago - after a discussion with a friend who because she wasn't too keen on this method of fertilization - was in the awkward position of starting to refuse offers of fresh herbs and vegetables from her very kind neighbor - who had been supplying her with fresh produce for quite a few years and this is what I found out

https://www.gardening-forums.com/th...rtilizer-for-organic-gardens-apparently.1427/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes! It definitely works! Although -- if you do it-- make sure to dilute slightly because just like when a dog pees on grass consistently, the grass will die, so water down and let your plants enjoy! :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I use quite a lot on my comfrey, which encourages it, then when I make my comfrey tea, it is recycled.
I also have a 6 litre watering can, so if I count 1 pee directly into it (very practical at the allotment), then filling with water is around ideal concentration.
:oops:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I use quite a lot on my comfrey, which encourages it, then when I make my comfrey tea, it is recycled.
I also have a 6 litre watering can, so if I count 1 pee directly into it (very practical at the allotment), then filling with water is around ideal concentration.
:oops:
Should have read, "...so if I count 1 pee directly into it as 0.25 litres..."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm a little confused as to what we are urinating on? I'm not sure my urine would be good for anything. It's full of pharmacy waste. As for it being easier for men, I have found a nifty little contraption that allows everyone to pee standing up. I've giving everyone with lady bits one for Christmas with their bath sets (they can blame it on the brain surgery if they really want, but they will love me for it!). Did I see urinal festivals in a url up there? I'm scared to click.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes, those were straw bale urinals at music and summer festivals. Not at all scary. :) And I know about the contraption you're talking about that allows women to pee standing up.

Simply put: It is common for soil to be low on nitrogen, and many plants need extra nitrogen. Rather than buy slaughterhouse waste at grossly inflated prices (blood meal, urea) at garden stores, one can consider using one's own pee. Saves water, saves money, what's not to like?

BTW, commercial blood meal and urea is absolutely loaded with pharmaceuticals, since most livestock animals are fed huge amounts of antibiotics and wormers and other meds during their short lives.

Ask a Question