Update on the old wagon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
IMG_2782.JPG
I am making slow but steady progress on my wagon restoration project. I'm sure the seat isn't exactly period correct but it's close enough. I wasn't happy with my installation so the seat is going to come out and be refitted. After scrounging around the neighborhood I have enough wood to finish the floor. It is hard to find old weathered 17 foot long boards. I also have two whisky barrels that I will place in the back bed once I get them repaired and weatherproofed. They will hold Pansies, ferns and some type of vine to drape over the sides. Weather permitting I will Ospho all the steel this week to stop the rust. This has turned out to be a bigger project than I originally thought but it is a lot of fun too.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for adding the update Silentrunning; its coming along nicely but as you rightly say this kind of project always takes much longer than first anticipated; how about adding "wooden tyres"? :cool:

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi,

Thanks for adding the update Silentrunning; its coming along nicely but as you rightly say this kind of project always takes much longer than first anticipated; how about adding "wooden tyres"? :cool:

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin, I have been trying to find pictures of other wagons to see what the tires looked like. Since the wagon doesn't have to be roadworthy I may be able to fashion some passable tires.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A set of tyres I think would make a great deal of difference and pull the project together Silentrunning; I'm interest though to follow your progress and is the following any good for you?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=h...3c_MjXAhWOGuwKHTDlCdoQsAQIOQ&biw=1920&bih=949

As the wagon is only for show then even a set of wooden band sawn tyres might look the part being built up in sections? I hope I'm not sticking my nose in where unwanted but I like to see this kind of project being undertaken; my best wishes for success.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi,

A set of tyres I think would make a great deal of difference and pull the project together Silentrunning; I'm interest though to follow your progress and is the following any good for you?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=h...3c_MjXAhWOGuwKHTDlCdoQsAQIOQ&biw=1920&bih=949

As the wagon is only for show then even a set of wooden band sawn tyres might look the part being built up in sections? I hope I'm not sticking my nose in where unwanted but I like to see this kind of project being undertaken; my best wishes for success.

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin, you aren't "sticking your nose in". I enjoy it when people take an interest in one of my projects. I do have a good amount of woodworking tools so wooden tires wouldn't be out of the question. My problem is that I can't find a single picture of wooden tires on wheels with steel spokes. I am beginning to wonder if this wasn't originally some kind of specialty wagon. If you should happen to come across a picture of one with steel spokes I would love to see it. Thanks for your interest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Silentrunning. There are literally thousands of old style wheels shown on the web including old stagecoach wheels which look a similar period to your wagon; I'm sure knocking up some wooden tyres won't be too difficult especially if you have a few tools; I'd stay away from timber like oak though because of its tannin content that stains badly when exposed to steel?

Years ago I needed a pair of wheels for my petrol mower because the original plastic wheels expired; I had already replaced the front two wheels with small plastic wheels I had in stock but what a shame I didn't have four of them. I simply turned two new wooden wheels adding bearing bushes; I cut out the center of the original wheels leaving just the tyres which I cleaned up on the lathe making these a friction fit onto the wooden wheels then to secure them I simply screwed through; they still look as good as new even after years of trouble free service although the bearing bushes are showing signs of wear; I can replace the bearings easily enough when the time comes.

Here's a fascinating video;

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00094.JPG

Ask a Question