UPDATE: MY CHINESE KALE SEEDS ARRIVED

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
AT LAST!

The Chinese kale seeds that I ordered from eBay finally arrived. There are free safflower seeds as well. :D I am very excited to start planting this weekend! Can I use ordinary soil? I know there's a thread already about Kale seeds, but I am afraid that some of the tips there are not tailored for a tropical country.

Thank you so much!

Oh, I Googled what a safflower is, and this is what I got.

SafflowerNew14.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's the first time when I see safflower. What a gorgeous plant! Will you grow it outdoors?
As for kale, I think that you can use ordinary soil. I always use it for all my vegetables:)

Reaction score
I'm glad your eBay kale seeds got there safely, because I recommended ordering them from eBay. I might be a little biased because I'm an eBay seller, but when something is too expensive, I always look for a better price on eBay. It was nice of them to include bonus seeds. Good luck with your kale.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
It's the first time when I see safflower. What a gorgeous plant! Will you grow it outdoors?
As for kale, I think that you can use ordinary soil. I always use it for all my vegetables:)

Yes, I will try to grow both plants outdoors though I will have them in pots because I want to keep them somewhere safe. I don't want birds to prey on my kale/safflower even before they really start growing.

I'm glad your eBay kale seeds got there safely, because I recommended ordering them from eBay. I might be a little biased because I'm an eBay seller, but when something is too expensive, I always look for a better price on eBay. It was nice of them to include bonus seeds. Good luck with your kale.

Thanks! I really thought that it wouldn't arrive anymore because it has already been like a month. I like that online seller because the seeds are very cheap. There are also many choices. :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure what butterflies you've got out there but it might be worth netting against them, I only grow kale/cabbage family stuff over winter as the caterpillars shred them in the summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yes, I will try to grow both plants outdoors though I will have them in pots because I want to keep them somewhere safe. I don't want birds to prey on my kale/safflower even before they really start growing.
Sounds reasonable:) I like to grow my plants in pots too, even if I keep them outdoors. It just seem safer. I would never plant my precious miniature roses outside, because there are too many pests and animals there that could harm them. I won't take the risk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Not sure what butterflies you've got out there but it might be worth netting against them, I only grow kale/cabbage family stuff over winter as the caterpillars shred them in the summer.

Oh I see. We only have two seasons though. Also, I think that the butterflies here are all year round. My okras has just been devastated. So is our ashitaba. :(

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh I see. We only have two seasons though. Also, I think that the butterflies here are all year round. My okras has just been devastated. So is our ashitaba. :(

Best net them then :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I watched a small Cabbage White butterfly circling over the nets that covered my Cabbages.

When she'd got to the right position, she closed her wings and dropped straight thru one of the holes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I watched a small Cabbage White butterfly circling over the nets that covered my Cabbages.

When she'd got to the right position, she closed her wings and dropped straight thru one of the holes

x.x I guess the fine mesh nets are the best. I think I bought the wrong one!

Ask a Question