Unknown shrub?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

New to the forum... Well into growing fruit and veg. Shrub identification however, is not my strong point. Having recently moved house, the time has come to suss what type of shrub/tree is planted right outside our kitchen window. My main concern is it's proximity to the drain. I could really do with an understanding of the root system etc.
After plenty of Google searches I am none the wiser and can only see it being something close to a magnolia. That could be completely wrong though. Any takers? Pic is attached.
IMG_20170124_142747274.jpg
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Jonno, Its a Rhododendron I'm pretty sure. If you have a close-up picture That would be cool just to confirm it but I'm sure that's a Rhodo:)It will look great when it flowers. Welcome to the forum

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Daren,

I've just looked that up and it definately looks like one of those. Thank you very much! Had a good read and it doesn't look like the root system is anything to worry about re drains and foundations. Will prune her back a little and await those flowers. Very grateful for your input. ☺

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I also think rhododendron, and a lovely one at that! Those flower in early spring (well mine does, anyhow) and it should be gorgeous. :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi Daren,

I've just looked that up and it definately looks like one of those. Thank you very much! Had a good read and it doesn't look like the root system is anything to worry about re drains and foundations. Will prune her back a little and await those flowers. Very grateful for your input. ☺

Just a heads up. Wait on the pruning til after it flowers. The buds are already set for this year. After it blooms, do what you must to make it work for you. Rhodies are very hardy, and will take a severe pruning if that's what needs to be done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks everybody,

You've all been very helpful. Thanks Licenter, I shall save the pruning for early summer after the flowers have shown.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
:) Welcome to the forum, Jonno85!!

Will you please bump this thread and post pictures when it blooms? I agree with the others, it should be very pretty when it blooms...and I would like to see it!! :love: (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good point about the pruning...I have one and it's already got buds on it and is the first thing to bloom in my garden. Mine's a much smaller variety though. I've never pruned it; it's been the same size for six years.

Ask a Question