Unidentified Growth

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are little growths shaped like very small pieces of rice in my raised garden located on the soil. They have a light red color to them. Is this normal and nothing to be concerned about or should I take action?

Notes: I live in Ohio and we've had rain with almost no sun for about 9 days now. My pepper plant root systems are starting to show slightly in the last couple of days as well, which I should probably cover with more soil?

Hopefully you can see an example in the below picture. Thank you for any suggestions and happy gardening!

IMG_20190621_080115.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They look like insect or ant eggs. Either way it's not good. To kill the eggs spray with Neem Oil. Just to make sure I would also use a spinosad based soil drench to kill whatever is in the soil. Whatever laid these eggs either brought them to the top because of all the rain or laid them there and is still probably down there. Spinosad will take care of whatever it is.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @EddySeven - good to have you join in :)
Begging to differ from our mate Chuck, but I reckon that all creatures have their place in the garden, and are best (mostly) left alone. If those are ants eggs, they may well have been rooted out by a hungry bird....and this might well sort itself out very quickly all by itself. It's not always good to just kill everything in the insect world - generally speaking we need the insects to help us in our gardens, and killing off one species will not always benefit another.... especially if we kill stuff willy nilly when we're not even sure what we're killing .

Ask a Question