Unhappy cherry sprouts

Reaction score
Hello, gardening folks. Though I'd make use of this great source of information and get some advice, hopefully.

Gathered some cherry stones from a dwarf cherry tree mid-summer, cracked them open and put the seeds in the fridge wrapped inside a wet paper towel. Four weeks ago I planted six seeds in clear half-liter plastic cups (two in each). Planting medium was moist sphagnum moss and sand. Seeds were planted about 1,5-2 cm under the surface. Cups were placed in the warm kitchen next to a window and covered with cling film to retain humidity.

Four of them sprouted, and roots went to the bottom of the cups within a week. They poked through the surface and had a nice progression. However, after this, development just stopped. No more growth and all but one wilted and started rotting (see image). I still have one left, although it hasn't shown any development the past couple of weeks (see image).

I still have six more seeds in the fridge. What can I do differently to get better results on the second try? Also, what can I do to prevent the last one from dying?

Cherry_sprout_wilting.JPG
Cherry_sprout_healthy.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Peat has zero nutritional value. Seeds have enough self contained nutrients to last a while but not forever. I think your sprouts are starving. Try starting your seeds in 50/50 mix of compost and peat. As soon as you have a true set of leaves fertilize with liquid fertilizer at 1/2 the recommended rate for mature plants. Do this until the third set of leaves and then use fertilizer at the recommended rate.

Reaction score
Peat has zero nutritional value. Seeds have enough self contained nutrients to last a while but not forever. I think your sprouts are starving. Try starting your seeds in 50/50 mix of compost and peat. As soon as you have a true set of leaves fertilize with liquid fertilizer at 1/2 the recommended rate for mature plants. Do this until the third set of leaves and then use fertilizer at the recommended rate.

Thank you for you advice, Chuck. I guess the "true set of leaves" you're referring to aren't the ones that show up once the seed has sprouted (like in the second image of the OP) but later on? Do you have any opinion on when the sprouts should be re-potted?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for you advice, Chuck. I guess the "true set of leaves" you're referring to aren't the ones that show up once the seed has sprouted (like in the second image of the OP) but later on? Do you have any opinion on when the sprouts should be re-potted?
In a container of that size I would guestimate at about 6 inches tall.

Ask a Question