UGH! Broccoli!

Reaction score
So, apparently broccoli is my Kryptonite. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I've tried for a couple years now to have a successful broccoli patch with no luck. Watering less, watering more, changing the soil, using a greenhouse, starting the plant inside. Nothing works. Is broccoli that hard to grow or am I really doing something wrong?

Reaction score
So, apparently broccoli is my Kryptonite. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I've tried for a couple years now to have a successful broccoli patch with no luck. Watering less, watering more, changing the soil, using a greenhouse, starting the plant inside. Nothing works. Is broccoli that hard to grow or am I really doing something wrong?

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/trouble-with-broccoli.1216/
Here's an older thread from this forum.that may help. You might also want to do a search for it in the search bar. It should find many threads on the subject. OMG I love Brocolli!!

Reaction score
Start over with you learning process, that way you maybe able to see what you missed doing or erred on. Check out that thread, it should be helpful.

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll read through, buy some seeds (or baby plants) and start from scratch! I should at least be able to figure out where I keep going wrong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I love to eat brocolli, but I have never tried to grow it before. I figured I would master some simple vegetables and flowers before I attempted something a little more challanging. The link above looks very helpful though.

Reaction score
I've seen broccoli being grown outside in a big pot in the Netherlands, I swear those folks have really green fingers and super powers when it comes to gardening. I can see why you want to grow it tho, I personally love broccoli, but I don't feel so comfortable eating because of the fear of pesticide residues. Growing it organically sounds great.

Reaction score
Trellum, I've been getting more into reading about GMOs and all that stuff, and it really started freaking me out! I figured I could at least start growing some of my own stuff, I'm not going to start slaughtering my own cows or anything, but it's a start! Plus, I don't really like a whole lot of veggies anyway, so the ones I do like (broccoli!) won't take up too much space from my flowers if it does grow.

I've been much more into planting herbs and roses, both of which are basically fool-proof, so veggies has been a bit of a chore. I don't even know if my tomatoes will live.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I tried it a few years ago and it was yucky. This year they are in a new bed thats organic soil, mushroom compost and rock dust and they are growing huge and taste wonderful. One thing I've noticed about all my veggies in general...when the rain waters them the flavor is so much better than when have to get the hose out. Our tap water sucks and I should get a filter for the hose (which is confirm husbands theory that I'm nuts) and the cold water shocks the plants and makes them unhappy and can change the flavor. I really need to get some rain barrels.

Reaction score

I tried a couple last year with semi success. Also tried cauliflower and did pretty ok with them. Brussels sprouts were so weird but entertaining (the strange way they grow all along the stem) even though mine never really got big enough to eat. I'll try more of all of them this fall.

Ask a Question