TV Licencing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had an e-mail from this lot, telling me that they haven't been able to process my direct debit for my TV licence that expired at the end of February.
Of course they wouldn't as there isn't one. We've had a free TV licence for fve years, so how can it "expire?" They want me to set up a new direct debit.

As I understand it the free TV licences for Pensioners ends in June. The e-mail I received was of the, "Do not respond to this e-mail, go to this site and answer a lot of fool questions," nonsense, how I hate those, it really put my back up.

So I e-mailed 'em back through their maze of a website telling them to contact me again in June.

What I think's happened, is that some overpaid manager at the BBC has told the tech boys to stick all those people who currently have an OAP free licence, back in the system, so they automatically get picked up by "the late payment" "app."

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a response to my message sent to the TV Licence Department, through their website telling me that I hadn't submitted enough information.
Now I've no idea whether this was from a "real person," or a computer generated one. But at least I could respond to it and I did.

I told them I don't appreciate "don't reply to this e-mail, go to our website" type e-mails.
I refuse to be "navigated" (a term used by the BBC when they want to shepherd viewers in a particular direction).
If someone sends me an e-mail, then I expect them to give me the courtesy of letting me respond to it directly. I said I've given them all the information they need and I refuse to do it again.

The people next door, both in their 80s, are away, so I've been sticking the mail left in their porch each day (the door doesn't lock) through their letterbox. I noticed they had the probably the same communication the licencing people had sent to me, though mine was an e-mail, they aren't on the internet, I recognised the envelope "TV licencing" was the give-away . The chances of their old licence expiring at the same time as would have mine, aren't likely, so these communications seems like computer generated ones, sent to all the former licence payers put back on the database.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The government is selling tv services?

In the old days, you needed a licence just to own a "televisor" as they were termed by the governement. You bought it from the Post Office.

They in turn gave money to the BBC to pay for their services. Now the licence fee goes straight to the BBC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mustafe2024

Latest Threads