Turning your garbage into something useful

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just wondering if anyone takes the time like I do to compost your garbage.

I recycle the metals and plastics, but everything else goes to the garden.

I end up will a LOT of re-useble matter not going in a landfill.

I trench dig a hole and fill it directly in the garden and plant on top of it. It breaks down in a few weeks where I live.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The bulk of my trash is non-recyclable plastics; everything else goes into the the recycling bin or buried in the yard.

Animals are not attracted to my trash...that used to be a thing when I was growing up. I remember when the neighborhood dogs would go around and knock over the trash and you'd have to go pick up all your trash. :) I don't see loose dogs running around any longer....in a strange way, I kind of miss those days:grumpy:

Reaction score
Country
United States
I now live in town, the suburbs. Cats are bad at times but that is all. I grew up 20 miles from anything and we had a trash pick up but we used all we could, threw out only if it was necessary.
I need a chicken but I'm way to busy now, I just bury it

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in a wooded development and even though my backyard is fenced in, the wild animals get in. Last year, the bears climbed the fence, came up on my deck, and took the suet cage I had hanging on the deck rail for the birds. A few year ago, they were on my front porch eating the cat food I leave out for the feral cats. I have no doubt they would come in and dig up anything resembling garbage.

Here's a picture of mama bear and her three cubs eating the cat food.

bears2.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have very little garbage. Anything the hens can't eat, or won't, goes into the compost pile except meat or dairy. We are on a farm and there are "critters" all over the place! There is a guy who comes by once a week and picks up recyclables and takes them into a nearby city and sells the metal, glass, and plastic by the pound. Bless his heart, the free service he provides to folks on our road is invaluable. I can't imagine trying to stash all that stuff and going in once a month to recycle! I'd probably take the lazy way out and just put it in the garbage can.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No bears here, but we do get visited by the fox and badger. I compost just about everything, we are veggie so no meat anyway, the odd fish skin usually goes in the bin. I find if I use fish, blood and bone fertiliser the animals scratch holes looking for what smells good. I usually stick a bit of old aviary wire down over it for a week or two.

Reaction score
Country
United States
About time I took the compost to the garden, using a old carpet to kill off the weeds.

Attachments

• 20210311_154004.jpg
    20210311_154004.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210311_153940.jpg
    20210311_153940.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210311_153940.jpg
    20210311_153940.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 53
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recycle the metals and plastics, but everything else goes to the garden.
I use the large, clear plastic, bottles to protect young plants when I first put them out from the greenhouse. Cut the bottom off and place over the plant twisting it into the ground, then push a stick through the top and down into the ground to stop it being blown by the wind.

Ask a Question