Turkey Christmas Dinner and all the trimmings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Perfect for Christmas Day.
23621664_1583232498401590_311947888373546425_n.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Do the British people not like ham? Not one person has mentioned ham for a holiday dinner. Ham makes a delicious main course and is much less fussy to prepare than turkey. In our house ham is often the meal of choice for a holiday.

We always had ham for lunch whenever we went to the in-laws. Now, I made my ex hot meal, usually chicken, sometimes, salmon. I have tried preparing ham, but must say I've found it too salty. Do you have a method to get rid of the saltiness please?

I think the major problem is that the ham is always very thick, and so even boiling it in water for half a day doesn't really remove the saltiness.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
We always had ham for lunch whenever we went to the in-laws. Now, I made my ex hot meal, usually chicken, sometimes, salmon. I have tried preparing ham, but must say I've found it too salty. Do you have a method to get rid of the saltiness please?

I think the major problem is that the ham is always very thick, and so even boiling it in water for half a day doesn't really remove the saltiness.
Just asked hubby,his mom used to soak it, there would be a scum of salt on the top of the water. Remove that and keep soaking for 2 days. Then change the water when boiling. She used to use her pressure cooker to cook it. Doesn't take so long.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I see. 2 days. I boiled it for half a day and changed the water twice. That's what it said on the instructions. No wonder people don't like it. I haven't got a pressure cooker. I don't like the idea. Call stupid. I used it before but I am so scared of explosion. Thank you, my domestic goddess!:D

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If a person used sage sausage you could chop up old tennis shoes and put in the stuffing and it would taste good. :D

:sneaky: My house, dinner will be at 4 pm. :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

without blowing your own trumpet

In the UK it's a trumpet?? :confused: We say "your own horn."

I always feel sad at time year not only for the poor Turkeys but also for all the trees that are lopped down , just to brighten up our homes for a couple of weeks :(

To be fair, if the people are in the business of selling trees, they'd better plant more every year to replace the ones they chopped. But, I think it would be a nicer world if everyone who buys one instead spent the money to plant one! (y)

Do you have a method to get rid of the saltiness please?

Yes!! Sugar cured ham. (y) :D

Perfect for Christmas Day.

Reminds me of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - when Veruca Salt ate the Thanksgiving Dinner gum and turned into a blueberry! :ROFLMAO:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I see. 2 days. I boiled it for half a day and changed the water twice. That's what it said on the instructions. No wonder people don't like it. I haven't got a pressure cooker. I don't like the idea. Call stupid. I used it before but I am so scared of explosion. Thank you, my domestic goddess!:D
That's ok, that's what I'm here for.;):ROFLMAO::D
You don't really need a pressure cooker. It just takes longer.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How do you use sugar to cure the ham of saltiness? I did use tons of demarrera sugar in a solution when roasting the joint, but the ham was still quite salty..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MaryMary, you are right about sugar cured ham. Excellent. I have smoked a couple of pork butts minus the curing and they turned out great.

Do you have a special shed or cubicle for the smoking? I am forever intrigued by the process. The nearest thing I have come close to smoking was to smoke some protea seeds over a fire and after I smelt like a smoked walking entity and only one seed sprouted. I think I wasn't brutal enough with the other seeds... I was quite scared when tons of creepy crawlies moved around on the top of the garage ceiling which wasn't in the best state of health.. Only a small fire, but that was some crazy length I went to for my love of flowers and I was scared still for fear of the fire spreading ..

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
How do you use sugar to cure the ham of saltiness? I did use tons of demarrera sugar in a solution when roasting the joint, but the ham was still quite salty..
You won't get rid of the saltyness by putting sugar on it. You'll have to soak it like i said yesterday.:)
You can put honey on it afterwards.

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I will try it when I get hold of a joint next time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@alp!!! what are you like!!....... nearly setting fire to your garage!!
No-one can say that you don't give things a go?:D:ROFLMAO:(y)

Reactions: alp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question