Trying not to kill my fruit

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I am having my first go at growing some fruit this year though I probably should have started a little smaller.

Anyway for the current list of fruits I have going:

3 x Blueberries (highbush, 3 varietys, hardy)
2 x Raspberries (yellow Anne, heritage red)
1 x Apricot (forget the variety but hardy to zone 2)
2 x Grapes (vanessa and red canadice)
1 x Blackberry (Kiowa?)

For the most part everything is doing pretty decent but am running into a few issues.

Blueberries - the 2 that I purchased from Lowes are doing great, no issues at all. However I purchased a bare root from Michigan Bulb and it has yet to do a thing. Can't see any signs of bud swell and the buds that are on it feel dry and brittle. I thought it was toast so I pulled it up and was shocked to see the roots still look and feel good.

Is there a chance it is just slow to break dormancy? Possible for it to stay alive and not come out of dormancy? Can Blueberries produce new growth in the form of canes similar to the blackberry and raspberries? Any tricks to stimulate it to break dormancy?

Second issue I am having is my grape vines. The Vanessa was purchased from home depot with about a 3' vine coming off the wood. The other was another bareroot from Michigan Bulb. The one from MB still has not broken dormancy or done anything, so same questions on it as for the blueberry.

The one from home depot is another story altogether. Within days of it being planted the top 6" of the vine has browned and is dying. Also all new shoots seem to be brownish and dying. Not sure why it's doing this, don't see any signs of any pest, mildew or anything.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also to give an idea, I build my own potting mixes. I use a 1:1:1 peat:compost:perlite and ammend according to what will be planted.

For the Blueberries this was DTE acid lovers blend, kelp, gypsum, azomite, MBP, mycos

For the Grapes it was DTE all purpose blend, kelp, gypsum, azomite, MBP, mycos

I ammend fairly lightly and top dress when the plants ask for more. They are all in 20g pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Lots of good Gardner's with great advice here but let me give you my 2 cents- stick to buying plants in person. Michigan bulb is a joke as are the 4-5 other companies that have catalogues.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lots of good Gardner's with great advice here but let me give you my 2 cents- stick to buying plants in person. Michigan bulb is a joke as are the 4-5 other companies that have catalogues.

Thanks for the advice, but I've already figured that one out. Soon as I started reading trying to figure out why my stuff wasn't breaking dormancy, I quickly realized none of these places have very good reviews and customers say some pretty bad things. Super delayed shipping, dead plants, wrong plants, etc.

Honestly I've already chalked the grape and blueberry from them up to being lost causes, feel like they should have been breaking dormancy by now.

Ask a Question