Trying for grass, rototill or no?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright, so I have a yard with pretty heavy clay soil all in the center portion. The edges seem to have less clay soil.

I have used trugreen who promised grass and failed and then refused any money back, which backtrack on their lawn guarantee, so yeah I hate trugreen, they're awful. They did next to nothing.

I also spread top soil and sand in the center portion and have spread gypsum at various times. I have rotoilled after this, and rototilled it all previously without spreading anything. I have fertilized and watered appropriately and have still only grew some grass on the edges still, none in the center.

Next step:
I feel I need to add more topsoil to the yard in much larger amounts than I previously did. I plan to get 10-12 yards dumped in.

My main question, should I spread this topsoil around and then rototill the yard once more, then reseed, feet, water etc.

OR should I just spread the topsoil around, but not rototill the yard and just spread seed into the spread topsoil?

I'm in Woonsocket, RI, springs just about getting started here.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Without soil testing, it's similar taking the car to a mechanic and the mechanic tries different parts until he finds something that solves the problem while you pay all parts and labor, and also sometimes that solution is only temporary because it was all guesswork.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So...clay, eh? Or silty muck? Its important, due to mass for one thing. Clay can outweigh other soil by 100%. That changes the quantity of amendments. And pH? 5.5 to 6pH is on a lot of your soil maps, but you are on about gypsum which has sulfur, which counterbalances to some degree the liming effect of the calcium in the gypsum. And sand on clay? A sprinkle will not do. You will make concrete as the clay settles between the sand particles. Soil test using a mason jar and tbsp of soap. Fill with soil, top off with water, soap then lid on and shake. If it never settles its clay, which is even finer than silt which will settle. You are in a drainage basin I think that goes to Providence then to sea. The basin has one soil type mainly but up and to the left is another type. I would not use topsoil. Sugar and amino acids and humic are better for soil building. If you want to do better, import compost. The organic content is pretty low generally in soil up there. Lots of glacial history. Which means no plants leaving carbon save really old ones that make the fossilized organic matter called coal that seems common in RI. And how no grass in the middle? Are you suffocating the seed via burial with a tiller? Do you have no sun?

Last edited:

Ask a Question