Trumpet Vine Troubles

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
About 10 years ago I planted vines to cover out back wall. I was told all the needed was water and that our sandy soil was fine for them. All but one died and still barely hanging on. Vines seem to grow great around here covering walls without issue.

Two years ago I thought I'd try again with Trumpet vines, yet amend with some bagged soil, can't recall which. They're watered with adjustable drippers (opened completely) that sit an inch or two from the base of the vine for 25 minutes twice a day. The first year they did fine and last year slowed down to a halt and yellowed. I'd like to be ahead of them this year, so while at Home Depot today I asked one of the associates what I could do to give them a boost. He said an all purpose granule fertilizer and handed me a Vigoro 12-5-7. Should this help and get them going or should I try something else?

I live in a 9B

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You are probably watering too much. A good soaking twice a week if it doesn't rain is sufficient. How many gpm are the emitters? Knowing how much water they are actually getting is important. Also some pics of the plants and soil would help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Here are pics of two of them. I'll get up on the hill later to look at the emitters and reply back.

IMG_4322.png
IMG_4323.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ahh, you're in Alta Loma. The clayey soil part or the sand and boulders part? If the sandy part of town, a good layer of mulch will help keep them moist. Right now is a great time to feed them with any all-purpose fertilizer, just follow the package directions. If the clayey part, that's almost definitely too much water especially at this time of year. The fertilizer advice applies as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Haha, I think this is the birth place of sand and rocks. Keep in mind when I planted these that I used bagged soil mixed with the native soil about 50/50, so it's a cross between the two. Either way I'll fertilize this morning and test the soil with a moisture meter in a couple days.

Thanks for you help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
I wish I had this issue with this vine. :) I bought a house last year with these and found vines growing everywhere. I used a weed killer on 15 shoots I found in the grass alone last year. It started growing in the cracks of the concrete patio, along the fence line. This year I cut both trees down, and since then I found 20+ new vine shoots. I actually just sprayed round up on 5 more new shoots tonight. The soil here by me does have clay in it. But no sand. If you really want this vine to work, try also applying alot of top soil around the root ball. You may have to dig them out and apply top soil about 2-3x times the size of the root ball. Eventually as it matures I dont think the clay and rocks is going to stop this plant from spreading its roots.
They do need water. I say this because we haven't had rain in a while. The other day we had heavy rain for an hour and this is how new shoots came up and grew quick.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
I actually read an article recently that said plant the trumpet vine plant in a 5 gallon garden bucket, and then plant that in the ground. This will help the plant get the nutrients in the soil from the garden bucket if it cant from what you have around the house. It will also contain the root system. Maybe try that see if it helps?

Ask a Question