Trumpet Trees

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Hi! Last year I moved into my home. There are 2 beautiful trumpet trees in the yard. As summer went on, I found vines growing on the side of the house and at least 15 in my yard. My neighbor was talking about "weed trees" she keeps finding in her yard. I have read that this tree can be invasive and spread it seeds everywhere. It was also a constant mess to clean up the flowers that kept falling everywhere. I want to get rid of them, and I read it can be a challenge. Is the best way to remove these trees but cutting them down and pour a root killer over it? What do you suggest. (There is also a giant clematis next to it)

Attachments

• 20200630_191811.jpg
    20200630_191811.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 54
Reaction score
Country
United States
That is a lovely display. I wouldn't get rid of that. Just plan to cut the vines back as needed, once a year in late Fall or early Spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cut it down real short and paint either straight Round-up or a brush-killer with triclopyr on the cut ends. It may take several applications for complete eradication.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
That is a lovely display. I wouldn't get rid of that. Just plan to cut the vines back as needed, once a year in late Fall or early Spring.
I did get rid of it, my picture only shows a third of the jungle. After I cut it down, painted the stumps with concentrated root killer, and roundup.....I have new shoots popping up everywhere. I even dug out roots and had the landscaper dig out whatever they could find.. I had over 70 new plants this summer. Removing this was the best thing as it opened up the yard and I was able to grass off the area making this look like a normal yard and put a display of Roses of Sharon for a cleaner privacy.

The plant appears to be in survival mode consistently shooting up new plants especially after rainfall. My neighbors told me I may be battling with this for a while as the previous owners had this thing for over 30 years. I am still using round up in the areas with no grass, and weed killer suitable for grass. My poor neighbors, it is growing in their yard and that isn't nice.

Ask a Question