Troy Built Super Tomahawk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Bought this chipper shredder in 1998 at a auction sale. Paid a whopping $175.00 for it with two grates. One grate is a ladder type and the other is 3/4 inch holes in a steel plate as you can see at the bottom in the picture. From what i was told I am the 3d owner.

[IMG]

It had a 5hp Tecumseh engine on it which worked, but you could lug it down and kill the shredder with a good load of wet leaves. Engine would not stall because it has a crintrifcal clutch
I used it about 5 years before the fuel line got a hole in it, it was routed thru and area near the cooling fins so I made a new line with coiled copper which worked.
Finely about 12 years after I bought it I wasn't able to get it to start and being tired of the Tecumseh engine and getting parts I removed it and installed a 212cc 6.5 hp predator hemi head engine. I really liked the extra 1.5 hp which I can get slowed down with a big load of wet fall leaves but never kill it like with the Tecumseh where I had to shut it off dig the leaves out and restart it.

I did have a problem with the belts on it the stock belt just wasn't holding up to the extra power. I put a 3/4 inch wood plate under the engine and then was able to install a wider V belt but not as long. I am on my second year on the present belt and I was lucky to make it two months with the stock belt.

Kare won't use the mulch I make out of tree limbs and other wood I chip up. She doesn't like the small size of the chips.

[IMG]

The ladder grate works great for wads of green grass and wet fall leaves but not well with any kind of tree trimmings.

The 3/4 hole grate is getting pretty beat up now. I am going to get some steel rod and weld it along the edge for extra support. I also need to remove the chipper blades and sharpen them. I have a lot of chipping to get done, hopefully this week. Need to get some new pictures too.

I use the small size mulch in the path to the pole barn and Kare is fine with them in her garden paths.

:D Al

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Consider using a grinder with a metal shaping sander pad or belt sander on the blade. I have a troy-bilt chipper shredder vac that uses a 40 degree blade. I get them off ebay from time to time. You can make a wood jig clamp of two pieces of angle cut wood to clamp and hold the blade while you service it. Check the dimension, its a weight too, and when they get skinny it throws off the balance on mine and vibration increases.
d335c62482e34e65bb6be58dc49a1629.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I use a Bastard Mill file and a hone to make mine sharp.

:D Al
You must not use it "vigorously" LOL ! Plus if you round the edge you have to maintain the angle by dropping a 32 or 1\16 off the face? No way I would have that much time. I would use a stone instead, but really find cloth impregnated with stone a faster and cooler advancement.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
No need to post any picture. Your post has given me all the info I need, which is great!

This is the reason I asked. For years I've had a Bolens Chipper/Shredder. Like yours, the dry screen has 3/4" holes. Theres what they call an intermediate screen that has 1" holes, and a wet screen that is even more open. The mention of a ladder grate got me thinking that it would be easy enough to weld one up if I had a pattern. The post has given me the pattern.

Incidentally, the flails on mine are the same as on yours. As was pointed out, they are easy to make up. I use "knife steel" for them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I am a new member to this forum.
I own a Tomahawk chipper and struggle with the belt - mine eats belts every 1.5 hours.
I think I have issue with the compression spring of the clutch tensioner.
Could you please tell me what is the length of the compression spring when it is not compressed and when it is compressed all the way.
Appreciate your time and hope to have this info from you.
Tommy

Ask a Question