Trouble with city ordinances?

Reaction score
I'm wanting to eliminate mowing and have only plants and trees which provide food, shade, cut flowers or otherwise add to the beauty of the yard. I don't know of any city ordinances in this area, but I have heard of gardeners who were prevented from having an edible landscape because of the cities they live in. Has anyone had problems like this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm wanting to eliminate mowing and have only plants and trees which provide food, shade, cut flowers or otherwise add to the beauty of the yard. I don't know of any city ordinances in this area, but I have heard of gardeners who were prevented from having an edible landscape because of the cities they live in. Has anyone had problems like this?
I haven't heard of city ordinances doing this but Home Owner Assc. are notorious for their lack of common sense

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I live in a historic district of a big city. All changes we want to make must be approved by a conservator. For example, we can't remove trees without his permission.
Fortunately, I can plant as many edibles, flowers and shrubs as I want to.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also plant to remove the need to mow the front yard by removing the grass and planting ground cover and rocks. I hope our HA does not have a problem with that. I do see that some of the owners in the area have reduced the amount of the front but not as much as I plan to reduce my lawn area. I also have one tree in the front that is dead and one that may be dying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I also plant to remove the need to mow the front yard by removing the grass and planting ground cover and rocks. I hope our HA does not have a problem with that. I do see that some of the owners in the area have reduced the amount of the front but not as much as I plan to reduce my lawn area. I also have one tree in the front that is dead and one that may be dying.
In San Antonio the city is begging folks to do what you are doing so as to save water. If you HA complains just ask them if they are against water conservation. If you do it a little at a time they probably won't even notice anything is different

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
You are probably right about them not noticing if I do a little at a time. You walk by something every day and may not notice something that has been there always and stop and ask yourself, was that like that before, I know I do.

Ask a Question