Trouble shooting Umbrella Plant Issues

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had an umbrella plant for nearly 10 years. The last several months I've watched leaves either turn completely very light color and fall off or the ends of leaves turning brown and then further deteriorating. Also, once the leaf falls off there is sometimes browning down the center seam of the leave and blotchy leaves. What suggestions are there? I don't think it's scales as the pictures I've seen don't look like what I have going on. Thank you.

Attachments

• umbrella plant trunk stems.jpg
    umbrella plant trunk stems.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Umbrella Plant leaves.jpg
    Umbrella Plant leaves.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 58

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, the trouble with these plants that there's more than one in a pot, that's how they have the twisting of the stem. Does it need re potting?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Try lifting the plant out of the pot to see if the roots are encasing the pot. If they are you could upsize to a pot one inch deeper and wider filling in with fresh soil. If it is not terribly root bound I’d start with adding a thin layer of worm castings to the surface of the soil and using a fork to work it in a little. Then water it in. Like most house plants this variety likes being root bound. I had one in the same pot for over 20 years without changing the soil, but the cat did urinate in the pot occasionally :mad:

Ask a Question