Trouble comes in threes...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please help!!! I have three plants that I'm struggling to diagnose:

1) Banana plant - I purchased this about 3 months ago and it quickly began to go downhill. First it was brown spots in the middle of the leaves and all along the edges, then it as aphids. I got rid of the aphids by making a spray with dish soap, but there has been a black sort of residue on the stems ever since and the leaves just keep looking worse. I tried putting it in different locations since I was thinking the brown spots were scorch marks from too much light, and I also tried to be careful not to over- or underwater it. Nothing seems to be making much difference, with the exception of one location that had more afternoon sun exposure and made things worse. Right now it is on my East patio where it gets unfiltered morning sun and is in full shade by about 1pm. I have cut off multiple sickly looking leaves at the base when they got to the point of being very wilted and yellow, and I just hope I didn't cause too much harm by doing so.

2) Gardenia - I also bought this 3 months ago and it has been doing very well until quite recently. There are holes in the leaves (my gardening app diagnosed it as caterpillars, though I haven't found any yet) and also spots of white all over, which I'm thinking is either mineral deposits from watering or possibly powdery mildew (I've had issues with powdery mildew ever since I moved to Southern California, but so far this particular plant has seemed resistant). The other thing I just noticed today was that several leaves are curled up and very stiff. I have no idea what that could be.

3) Plumeria - I bought this a couple weeks ago and although it's about 1.5' tall, it came in a tiny little pot (4" I believe) and didn't seem to have much of a root structure (1 pretty long root and just a few very short ones). I put it in an 8" pot to allow room for the long root and used a commercial succulent mix for the soil. It seemed to be doing well since then, with the exception of the plant not staying straight up (the soil is very lightweight and when the wind blows even a little the plant gets pushed to the side). I'm not sure what to do about this, but I pushed the soil down a little more to try to secure it and also sheltered it during periods of heavy wind. A few days ago I noticed the bottom leaf was yellow. The soil was quite dry so I assumed I had let it go a little too long without water and gave it a good drink. That was 2 days ago. Today the bottom leaf is still quite yellow, and now another one has a spot on it and is curled. The soil hadn't dried out since I watered it, and unfortunately it rained this morning so the soil is pretty wet. I also noticed some white residue on the woody part near the base of the leaves, which again, I'm afraid might be powdery mildew.

Any and all thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!
20211018_135437.jpg
20211018_135443.jpg
20211016_171547.jpg
20211018_135447.jpg
20211018_135506.jpg
20211018_135359.jpg
20211018_135415.jpg
20211018_135342.jpg
20211018_135313.jpg
20211018_135323.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Your plants are doing fine with a couple of minor issues.
1. Banana
The brown areas are from the sunburn. The east side of the house is fine until Spring. The black residue is probably from the soap spray. The other black spotting is fairly normal. You did have Giant Whitefly, that’s the white ring on the underside of the leaf.

2. Gardenia
Yes, you do have a caterpillar, but it only does minor cosmetic damage. The curled leaves are due to previous aphid damage.

3. Plumeria
The white stuff is dried sap from where a leaf was broken off- ignore it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Still seeing aphids in the first Gardenia jasminoides pic. Wipe away or crush the ones you can see, and use a non-toxic horticultural oil or soap to get the rest. Apply thickly at the growing tips as this is where and when the worst damage occurs.

Those bumps on the last Banana (Musa) pic, appear to parasitized aphids or scale, but the image is blurry. It is good that you (or the grower) have parasitoid wasps around, they are an effective ecological pest control. If possible, please take a sharp macro shot of these structures.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
DON’T use soap!!!! Gardenias are very sensitive to it and will die from repeated applications. It should say so somewhere on the label, if it’s insecticidal soap.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Insecticidal soap is used on a wide variety of plants, but they should be used as directed. Soaps and oils in hot weather can sometimes cause a plant to overheat if applied very thickly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
If in doubt, always test any new product on a small area, but I've used insecticdal soap on Gardenia jasminoides cvs. without any issues.

Ask a Question