Tropical to replace hedge row?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
i need to replace some lantana and another bush that created a hedge against the edge of our yard. Does not have to be a bush and I want a tropical feel. We have lots of tropical, elephant ear, caladium, canna, etc and really want to carry that through. I'm considering banana plants ( already have some around back). Anyone have another suggestion? Something that will get to at least 4ft or so?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here is a link to Florida native perennials that will grow 3-6' tall. I didn't know what kind of sun the area gets, or how moist the soil is, so you might want to change the parameters a bit. There are also boxes to click if you want to pick a bloom time or color, so you can fine-tune it even more. (y)

http://www.wildflower.org/plants/combo.php?start=0&distribution=FL&duration=duration_perennial&height_03=1&1&pagecount=10&pagecount=100

Edited because I wanted to say 3-6' NOT 3-6". I need more coffee.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks Mary! That's a great resource! I might have to look at some hibiscus, I whoosh that website gave more details on the plants. But at least I have something to look up, some really cool plants came up with that. I didn't realize so much hibiscus was native (mallow family? ) that explains the tree or back that seems to do well despite poor sun and soil conditions. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My banana plants grow fast but completely die back in the winter so if you're looking for a hedge, it might now work.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You are welcome, vette-kid! :) As far as more details, that's what Google is for! I always recommend a little more learning before adding anything new. I want to know if any butterflies are attracted to a plant, and whether or not the @$%!! :censored: thing will try to take over. Other people may want to know if any parts are toxic - I don't have to worry about that, since there are no children here. ;)

Yes, the hibiscus is in the mallow family. Malvaceae if you want to get technical. :LOL: It's a big family, and includes hibiscus, Rose of Sharon, hollyhocks, cotton, and okra. The only one with any toxic properties is cotton. Marshmallows are made from a type of hollyhock. (I learned something today! :geek: Yay!!)

Since joining this forum and reading posts from @JBtheExplorer, I've been trying to plant more native plants. Partly because it will help the native birds and bees, but also because it makes more sense to me. Why keep trying to change my soil to suit something that doesn't want to be here? :cautious: I want more plants like your tree out back that seems to do well despite poor sun and soil conditions. (y)

There are some plants I want just because I want them. The house I grew up in had irises, four o'clocks, lilacs and a pussy willow, and I want those at my house now - I don't care if they're native, they just "feel like home." :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My banana plants grow fast but completely die back in the winter so if you're looking for a hedge, it might now work.
What type of banana do you have and what are your winters like? Several varieties are cold hardy to sobe 7 or 8. Supposedly they will get through with a little leaf damage, but not die to the ground. We will see I suppose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm in zone 8b. They die completely and then pop back up in the spring. I'll take some pictures of what kind

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Oh my, there are so many ttypes of hibiscus! Ans they range from little 12 inch plants, to trees! Anyone have experience with one that is hedge like? My wife really wants bushes in this spot, I'm bit a fan of most bushes, but the hibiscus might work. So far I'm looking at Azurri Blue Satin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How about a nice no muss, no fuss bush that can be used as a hedge, also it attracts hummingbirds big time.
Cigar Plant Cuphea melvillea
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/2536/
Almost perfect! Sun/part shade and sandy (it's Florida, everything is sandy! )is exactly where it would go. Sadly, it looks like this goes top ground every winter and is pretty frost sensitive. I'm not sure that's will work out. I'd prefer something that at least keeps limbs or all winter to still provide some sort of screen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sorry I just realized how far north you are. Zone 10 in FL this would grow all year with nary a problem. I do use them as an annual here tho. Great plant.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sorry I just realized how far north you are. Zone 10 in FL this would grow all year with nary a problem. I do use them as an annual here tho. Great plant.
Yeah, North Florida can be a little frustrating like that. So close to full tropical, but north enough you have to be careful. It is a cool plant

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Rose of Sharon will grow as a hedge - well, it self-seeds so much, you'll have a hedge eventually! ;) I remember you like blue flowers - here is a link to "Blue Chiffon" RoS pictures.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...UTF-8&n=60&x=wrt&hsimp=yhs-003&hspart=mozilla

I love blue flowers, myself! :love: This pic might be a Blue Bird hibiscus. When I image search RoS, it keeps showing RoS and hibiscus, I guess they're so closely related as to be almost interchangeable. o_O

upload_2017-5-28_10-38-52.jpeg

Here is a link to pictures of them grown as a hedge. (Don't fall for the bright pink ones, I think they photoshopped them! :cautious: )
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...g/Q91SpPkP6Ow/s1600/100_4451.JPG&action=close

If you have the time and desire, they can be trained into different shapes!

upload_2017-5-28_10-54-25.jpeg

Ask a Question