Tried to grow a pineapple from cutting...?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Okay, so saw the pinterest post about being able to grow a pineapple by cutting the top off, putting it in water to sprout roots... etc..

soooo the one day my hubby brought a one home, and i cut off the top, and put it in water. Buttttttt it got moldy... :'( sad panda..

so the question is... does this pinterest post actually work, or am i just gullible?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If the bit you cut off grows, it works. I tried and it grew for a while and then died. I was told that the leaves right at the centre needed to be green and not dead or yellow.

I think if the compost is the right combo and is sterile and that you have the right temperature, you should stand a chance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have three in the ground right now. I don't bother soaking in water, I just peel away some of the bottom leaves and push it in the ground, kind of like in this video:

My problem is that I plant them and then forget about them and the area gets overgrown and shades out the pineapple; however, they still grow, despite me absolutely ignoring them. I just found one large plant when I was chopping down old, dead plants; it was impressively large and healthy looking. If I ever remember to take care of one, I believe I could get it to fruit.

P.S. They always look like they are dead not long after planting, because all the leaves turn brown, probably why I tend to forget about them; however, I always find them later in the year looking very healthy considering the shading out by other plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Yep, it works.

Well I did that long back, too bad ants had a taste for pineapples.

I got a big fruit but hollow.

whats with the video link, not working!

I chopped 1 inch below joint.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The video is working, but has to be watched on youtube so that the producer can get more head counts and dough!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Is that happening for all youtube video or this only:eek:
I've only seen that happen a couple times before, but I guess it's like alp says that you have to watch it on youtube so that the "view" will be counted.

Just click on the title at the top of the video screen and it will open a new page on youtube and the video will start.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I've only seen that happen a couple times before, but I guess it's like alp says that you have to watch it on youtube so that the "view" will be counted.

Just click on the title at the top of the video screen and it will open a new page on youtube and the video will start.

Yes, producers of these videos need someone literally watching them on youtube site itself. Even downloads won't help them to earn a dime!

Ava

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, so saw the pinterest post about being able to grow a pineapple by cutting the top off, putting it in water to sprout roots... etc..

soooo the one day my hubby brought a one home, and i cut off the top, and put it in water. Buttttttt it got moldy... :'( sad panda..

so the question is... does this pinterest post actually work, or am i just gullible?
The best way to plant a crown is to put it in the ground or pot. I have about 20 plants growing in different stages, and I just plant them naturally. Sometimes we overthink things. Actually, I just planted 2 today and more tomorrow. I either start them off in a 1-gallon pot or dig a hole and stick them in it.

Ask a Question