Tricky Hedgerow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I need to plant 350ft of privacy hedgerow alongside a moderately busy road. I live in Massachusetts so in Winter I will also have salt issues from snow plows. There is a wooded area behind the proposed hedgerow so it will be in the shade a lot. I want the hedge to reach 8ft and I will trim it if needed. I want the hedgerow to be 8ft tall and 2-3ft thick. What trees or shrubs would u recommend to withstand traffic wind, salt, shade, cold winters....
Least mosquoto friendly the better too.
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, I know how bad the winters can get here in Ma. with all the salt and sand the cities put on the road ways each winter, I would go with Arborvitae, they grow fast and will grow thick to cut the sound of the cars and give you all the privacy you might want.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks. Will the proximity to roadside, plow salt and the fact theyd be in the shade a lot kill the tree? My garden center didnt recommend the Arborvitae. They mentioned Hemlock tho. Have u seen Arborvitae grow successfully roadside in shade?
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There are some growing in the wet lands near me and they get lots of shade. Hemlocks will work but I think there slow grower.

Ask a Question