Trenched Yard, Now What?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I just had my backyard trenched in Colorado and I have an immediate problem with mud and a long-term question on reseeding. My backyard, which is also the neighborhood playground for kids with a trampoline and other fun now is covered in dirt and I'm tracking mud everywhere around my yard and in my house. The first question is to what can I put down that will protect my home from this mud menace and my second is to what I should do this coming Spring or Summer to reestablish grass? The plumbers reseeded (with who knows what) when they filled back in the trench, but that doesn't do me much good now. My goal isn't a perfect lawn, just something. In my neighborhood, a lawn without 3-foot weeds is a "good lawn". Will I need to keep the trampoline and kids off this new grass for a time in the Spring? What should I do to help get some grass cover? Thank you so much for your help. If you help me I promise to mow my lawn weekly for the rest of my life. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello,

I just had my backyard trenched in Colorado and I have an immediate problem with mud and a long-term question on reseeding. My backyard, which is also the neighborhood playground for kids with a trampoline and other fun now is covered in dirt and I'm tracking mud everywhere around my yard and in my house. The first question is to what can I put down that will protect my home from this mud menace and my second is to what I should do this coming Spring or Summer to reestablish grass? The plumbers reseeded (with who knows what) when they filled back in the trench, but that doesn't do me much good now. My goal isn't a perfect lawn, just something. In my neighborhood, a lawn without 3-foot weeds is a "good lawn". Will I need to keep the trampoline and kids off this new grass for a time in the Spring? What should I do to help get some grass cover? Thank you so much for your help. If you help me I promise to mow my lawn weekly for the rest of my life. :)
Does your ground freeze? How long is it covered in snow and ice. As long as it stays cold I know of no seed that germinates during winter, especially in Colorado. Rye and Fescue grass will survive the winter but if you can't get the seeds to sprout you are out of luck You might be able to lay down a thick layer of straw or hay to keep your house a little cleaner though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What does it mean to have your backyard, "trenched"?

I think I had a similar problem with my yard when I was trying to decide what to do with numerous areas that didn't grow dense grass; therefore, I was mowing over very sparse grass, interspersed with dirt/sand.

I didn't want to spend money on special grass that grew in shady areas, as well as pay for the watering and any other special needs. So I mulched over with leaves I collected that my neighbors left out for city pick up; however, I could easily have mulched over with woodchips that many tree companies are eager to drop off, in lieu of trucking off to the dump.

The 'weeds' that grow here now, as well as some plants I've planted are great for attracting a lot of pollinators. There's a lot more interesting plants than just grass.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I don't know what your growing conditions are, since Colorado has many different altitudes/soil types, just like Texas.
However, get a good doormat and make everyone use it, which will take care of tracking muck into the house.
Don't do grass and you can forget your pledge to mow weekly. There are low growing ground covers that spread rapidly and can take foot traffic. Instead of seeding you'll be planting plugs of the ground covers.
Here is a link to a site listing different covers and their requirements: http://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/yard-garden/ground-cover-plants-7-400/
Good luck, and if this doesn't work, consider moving the trampoline to a neighbor's yard :LOL:!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
That sounds Like they made a real mess!. If only they had carefully removed the top layer of grass and put it aside and re-laid it after the plumbing was finished and backfilled. Like Everyone has said it is the wrong time to Seed lawns. Not even a great time for Turfing as it will take such a long time to establish and send down roots. Boots off before they get past the door mat, I think is a must for the Kids. Also maybe look at maybe getting TYPAR GrassCarpet or similar in a length to and from door to trampoline. Or a more permanent Path so as to keep them off the mud So it can recover(y) Then Maybe your have time to Cut grass In summer;). Good luck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Agree with what all have put above, it is the wrong time of year to sow a new lawn. You'd be better off waiting until the weather has warmed up a bit and the ground temperature is above 5 degrees Celsius for a prolonged time to put some grass seed down, could always use a pre-seeding fertiliser a few days/week before putting the seed down to help it.

Personally I would keep the trampoline (and kids) of the area for a couple of months to give the grass seed time to settle, germinate and grow strong roots, same with mowing, if you mow it too soon you'll risk damaging it.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I could say soil prep with compost is fine, given that soil expects the benefits of rotting leaves and other fall gifts by this time of the year. And certainly the soil will make good use of the material until such time as you get around to seeding.

Ask a Question