Trellis climbers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, and to gardening! I was hoping for some advice regarding trellis climbers please. I have done some Googling but think you may be more help.
I will be putting up some 6ft x 6ft (1.83m x 1.83m) square trellis panels. The panels will be running outwards from the house, near a window at the start of the row. The trellis will not be against a wall, it will just be held up by posts, so almost like a normal fence.
I am looking for evergreen climbers (so it looks covered and full all year) that also flower at some point (ideally white and/or pink). Also, I do not want the plants to protrude far from the trellis at all, as this will affect the light coming in the window.
So basically, is there a selection of evergreen climbers that flower with white and/or pink flowers, that will stay as close to the trellis as possible and therefore won't protrude too far forward from the trellis?
I am happy to mix various plants, such as a non-flowering climber as a base, then a flowering climber put into the mix too etc.
Thank you very much in advance for your help. Sorry for the long message.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Zoe, my pleasure :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome! I read your post and wantedto ask if you do like I doand orient your trellis to the midday or afternoon sun? Just asking because that has been then only way I can get the leaves andthus the flowers to cooperate.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @ZoeZoeZoe !

It might be a good idea to find out the aspect of your trellis. I used to have an arch and the plants were crushing it as they grew towards the sunshine and after 10 years, the arch collapsed despite several propping up attempts. Always remember that plants reach out for the sun. So sometimes, it might be a good idea to plant in island form with a climber frame in the middle. You will regret it when the flowers go to your neighbour's side of the fence because that is where the sunshine is smiling.

Confederate Jasmine is one good choice as it is fragrant and evergreen though the leaves might turn red. Lots of climbers such as clematis, but please don't go for Montana or anything which will collapse your trellis - you could go for all three types. Madame Julia Correvon with deep red colour won't crush your trellis and it has a long and repeated growing season and will flower when all else go mute! Passionfruit is also very invasive. Climbing roses are nice too. You could go for one with a long flowering season or repeated blooming.

Don't forget annual climbers as they can be very spectacular ..

I had her for one year and it thrilled me even thinking about it! Thunbergia can be very quietly showy too.

Hope you enjoy your tellis planting!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DirtMechanic and Alp :) , the trellis would be on the north side of the house, but would get the early morning east sun, and the late afternoon west sun. My neughbour's side is the east side of the trellis.
I shall take a look at all of those plants you've mentioned Alp :)

Ask a Question