Tree virus?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Are all the thorns on this tree a virus please? And is it possible to identify the tree from the leaves?

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @Tetters. (y) Comparing the two trees and looking at the leaves of the second one, I'm inclined to think it's that because of the serrated edge. However, the thorns on the first one seem to match the tree in the images. I'll pass both these on to my daughter-in-law in America - the tree is near her place of work in Ohio.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We`ve been discussing this, and we think it is more likely that the tree with the thorns is a Honey locust as in the first identification, and the ovate serrated leaves have probably fallen from the tree next to it.
It is surprising really that there are so many people on this forum who come from America who seem to be unable to identify a tree that lives there
1605309135755.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, you are right Tetters. :) My daughter-in-law confirmed It's Honey Locust. Definitely an unusual tree and I wonder if those thorns are as lethal as they look?

To be fair there's probably a lot of British gardeners that can't identify our trees either - only taking notice of those in their own gardens.

Ask a Question