Tree suggestions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
My son lives in the Columbus region of Ohio, sorry I don't know the climate zone. He would like tree ideas please, both deciduous and evergreen for a part of his garden that has an issue with flooding during excessive, prolonged rain at certain times of year. Eventual mature height of the trees isn't a problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My son lives in the Columbus region of Ohio, sorry I don't know the climate zone. He would like tree ideas please, both deciduous and evergreen for a part of his garden that has an issue with flooding during excessive, prolonged rain at certain times of year. Eventual mature height of the trees isn't a problem.
We know from previous posts that his soil is slightly acidic. To find out the best varieties of tree he needs to know the texture. It is probably clay due to the drainage problems that have been posted about, although the drainage problem may be from his location, downhill and in a type of bowl. He knows what he doesn't want, trees that get bagworms. So, he wants a tree that likes acidic soils, can tolerate bad drainage and can't get bagworms. Since I have never lived anywhere even close to there I have no idea of varieties that meet these requirements and can live there, I suggest he get in touch with the county extension agent or equivalent to find out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Chuck. (y) His drainage problem is from water running off an incline in the neighbouring field. Unfortunately he can't afford to do anything about it at the moment. I told him to speak to the farmer and ask if he would dig a ditch at the base of the field but he's not prepared to do that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are a number of tree species that will do well in wet soils with often poor drainage. A few that come to mind are Tupelo (Nyssa sylvatica and other species), Bald Cypress (Taxodium distichum), Willow (Salix), Birch (Betula), Alder (Alnus). Many others as well, depending on the severity and frequency of the flooding. However, most temperate bottomland trees are deciduous. In Ohio, the number of evergreen tree options is limited overall and even less so for poorly drained sites. Besides evergreen conifers, there is American Holly (Ilex opaca) and with protection perhaps Magnolia grandiflora and a few others, but none of these are ideal for a poorly draining site. Perhaps Spruce (Picea spp.) being the best option among evergreen conifers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I am from Ohio, would focus on zone 5 for that area. The way I pick a new tree, or shrub, is can it have at least 3 season interest. 4 would be ideal. meaning, what does it look like all four seasons. Some trees in the winter have beautiful barks on it, ect.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Most of Ohio is USDA Zone 6, but all the trees recommended above would do fine in Zone 5 or 6. Magnolia grandiflora is marginaI, but I did not recommend Magnolia for the site. Still, there are well grown examples of it in Ohio.
I find most trees have four seasons of interest, when you appreciate them on their own terms, but first plant something that will do well in the conditions provided. I'm curious if tree selection has already been carried out on the OP site in question.

Ask a Question