Tree of Heaven

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I have been given a Tree of Heaven plant whilst on holiday (Ailanthus altissima)..Apparently they get massive very quickly..not that you would guess from its condition its in at the moment after being cooped up in a hot van for the best part of a day....Anyway I spotted it in the garden of the people we were staying with and made an off the cuff comment of how I liked the specimen they had which was kept to about 10-12 feet and sculpted like an umbrella.....perfect to provide dappled shade on a really hot day..so off the man went and duly dug me up a sapling......they must spread by their roots because he had loads springing up all over the place.....this one is staying in a large pot not dissimilar to my Silver Birch tree. :unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It has an interesting leaf BigC. I think your idea of keeping it in a big pot is a good one.
I wish Id taken a picture of our friends tree....it was like a bonsai but much larger if that makes sense shaped like an umbrella, a shaded canopy...very beautiful....but if left it can get humongous :)

Ask a Question