Tree identification

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
The help I need at the moment is tree identification.

This tree is in my daughter's yard in Stillwater, Ok. Being that's the home of Okla. State University it has a large variety of trees and this one has us stumped. I first thought pecan but on second thought I doubt it. Thanks for any help. Now I'll try uploading pics to an unfamiliar site.

Attachments

• Tree 2015.jpg
    Tree 2015.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 366
  • tree bark - trunk 15.jpg
    tree bark - trunk 15.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 332
  • tree leaves 15.jpg
    tree leaves 15.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 370
  • tree lll 7-45 am pecan cropped.jpg
    tree lll 7-45 am pecan cropped.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 355
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

This tree is in my daughter's yard in Stillwater, Ok. Being that's the home of Okla. State University it has a large variety of trees and this one has us stumped. I first thought pecan but on second thought I doubt it. Thanks for any help. Now I'll try uploading pics to an unfamiliar site.
It is either pecan or black walnut, probably walnut because I have never seen pecans with that strong a fall color

Reaction score
Senior Citizen the pics of the leaves are not detailed enough ...The end of the leaflets are not showing .They leaflets offer the best clues to an id.
Juglans nigra ..common name Black walnut is a good possibility.

Quote link below.."Alternate, pinnately compound, 12 to 24 inches long with 10 to 24 leaflets (poorly formed or missing terminal leaflet"

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=32

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=j...ChMIsLTP_PmVyQIVQskUCh0rYA5H&biw=1536&bih=728

Sorry ...The leaves do not match Ulmus parvifolia....commonly known as the Chinese elm or lacebark elm. Nor does it have the fabulous flaking bark of Chinese elm.
Quote link below....".Leaf: Alternate, simple, elliptical to broadly lanceolate, up to 2 1/2 inches long, pinnately veined, serrate margin; base of leaf is conspicuously inequilateral, "

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=90

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=u...Q7waCh12RQtn#tbm=isch&q=ulmus+parvifolia+leaf

Suggest you check for seeds/nuts/fruit .A tree that size should have something...try checking on the ground.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=U...ChMIlsr57PqVyQIVRlYaCh0-awlX&biw=1536&bih=728

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Beth, Thanks for transporting this tree and planting it where it belongs.:)

Credit where credit is due...it was @Becky (admin) who moved this, not me. ;)

Black walnut is definitely a possibility! I have one in my side yard. Does your daughter have about a million squirrels running around with walnuts in their mouths looking for places to bury them for winter? :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
I have Black Walnut trees galore here at the ranch and I don't think it is walnut. The overall shape isn't like our Pecan or Black Walnut trees.

We don't know the age of it and it is my understanding a pecan can take 10-20 years to produce nuts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
The tree is about 160 Km from my location and my camera lens is a little short :D but I'm working on getting you a full leaflet pic including the tip end.

Thank you for your patients.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Credit where credit is due...it was @Becky (admin) who moved this, not me. ;)

Black walnut is definitely a possibility! I have one in my side yard. Does your daughter have about a million squirrels running around with walnuts in their mouths looking for places to bury them for winter? :D
Sorry for the mistake and thanks for the correction.

No, squirrels aren't a problem there but they are at my residence because of Walnut trees.

Reaction score
I agree with Sheal - as the bark on the trunk, the leaves as well as their formation - says to me that this tree very definitely belongs to the Ash family.

Ask a Question