Tree ID

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
And does it look ok? It's the closest one. Probably hard to assess health, but it is very tall with few leaves. It struggles to poke through the canopy of two oak trees. It does effectively block out any light that filters through the oak canopy so none of it reaches the ground:confused:
20170528_145305.jpg
20170528_145314.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think that could be quite an old Lilac tree (syringa) It will not do well there as it is starved of light.
If that was my patch, I would consider taking the tops out of the Oak trees to let more light in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That may be a Paper Mulberry tree, http://weeds.brisbane.qld.gov.au/weeds/paper-mulberry

If so, you should also see some sprouts popping up from this tree, but the leaves of the young sprouts look totally different than the adult trees. Also, as the name implies it produces a mulberry; however, there are male and female trees and the male doesn't produce any fruit.

I had three male mulberry trees in my yard and I chopped them all down, because all they do is suck up moisture/nutrients from the soil and shade out other things I wanted to grow. Unless you have a female tree, I see these as garbage trees.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that all the trees I cut down had a really bad insect infestation, but on the outside it looked ok, with a lot of foliage. However, I think it was in danger of coming down, because the insects really dug out a lot of its wood.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks, it does seem to be struggling. Only one of the oaks is mine. Although I do plan to have an arborist come and thin the canopy some.

There is a little sapling that has spring up right behind it (can't see it in the pic) and possibly another about 10 feet away. I've debated cutting down the main tree and leaving the sapling to grow. That would probably make a difference for surface plants add the leaves on this are quite large.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here are some pics of mine before I cut it down, notice the "flower" (or whatever you call it) that it produced in the spring time, that should help in ID'ing. It was a big tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here is what I found when I started trimming. I had a red bud do the same thing only 10x worse. I think it was a mater of time for this one sout I just cut it down. Hopefully the extra light will allow other plants to grow. I did keep the sapling for now.
20170529_160336.jpg

Ask a Question