Tree desease?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I believe I have an ash tree in my front garden, anyways iv noticed in that a lot of branches are falling off and they seem rotten, there's also a lot of fungus growing up in the branches aswell if noticed there's no leaves this year at the crown of the tree. I'm no expert so advice treatment if there is any please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Picture of tree below. I may be wrong with the identification please comment if I'm wrong

Attachments

• 20170423_122848.jpg
    20170423_122848.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 250
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Where do you live? Emerald ash borers kill ash trees and sounds like what you describe. So many were infected in my area that three years ago, the township removed hundreds of them. I think they are more prevalent in northern states. When I bought my house, right away I had a huge dying ash tree cut down because when it fell, it was going to fall on my house. o_O

Could be something else of course! Do you have any close up pictures?

Many good tree service companies have an arborist on staff and won't charge you to come out and assess your tree. That's what I would do (and have done) in your shoes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Carl, your tree is suffering Chalara, or Ash die back. It is a serious disease that has already wiped out vast areas of Ash trees on the continent and is devastating the trees here too. If you check on line, you should be able to find a map from the woodland trust showing where it is most prevalent here in the UK. We have already lost a lot of trees here in Kent. it is caused by a fungus.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately, there was nothing we could do about the ones around our village, and they have had to be removed. If it was my tree, I would take it down. maybe you could plant something else, there are lots of lovely small trees that would be suitable for that position.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any suggestions? Something that won't destroy my drive with the routes and won't be prone to disease. ?? And will establish quickly I don't want to be 90 when it's really looks good of you know what I mean. Also how would it grow with the existing routes in place? Would I have to remove the whole stump or get away with grinding it into the ground?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a look at Amelanchier, or Malus - ''profusion'' is a good one. Silver birch is a fast grower and just gives dappled shade.
If you look at the shape of a tree, the root system usually fits the same area as the spread of the branches.

You could take the roots of the tree out with a stump grinder, or you could cut it off higher and use the remaining piece of trunk to put a bird bath on - or a fairy house (if you have kids) :)

Ask a Question