Transplanting trees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Iam thinking of moving & want to take a couple of trees & shrubs with me like Glinka biloba tree , fatsia & rhododendron, is this possible to dig them up & plant in large pot ready to move, or if not how about cuttings, thanks Linda.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It looks as if you are in the UK. In which case you must specifically exclude any plants in the garden which you wish to take with you from the sale. Permanent plantings are counted as being part of the property and so may not be removed.
It all depends on the size of the plants, the bigger they are the less likely they are to survive being moved. Rhododendrons are shallow rooted so easier to move than the others.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The following paragraph is an exact copy of my post on your other thread about the same topic. I'm not sure why, but new posters often create two identical threads. Perhaps the site makes it appear like their first thread did not post. Hopefully, the webmaster can fix this.

If you are asking if you can dig up a planted specimen of a tree or shrub and repot it (or replant it). The answer is possibly yes, but not without risk. Such a procedure is traumatic to a plant's root system. It is best attempted towards the end of Winter, while the tree is still quiescent or dormant, but after the coldest weather has passed. Deciduous plant such as roses or (small) Gingko often do better. as do shallowly rooted plants such as Rhododendron. Obviously smaller and more recently planted specimens would also likely fare better.
if the plant absolutely needs to removed or taken down, you really have nothing to risk but the effort, give it a try. However, if it is just a case of wanting the plant more in another spot, I would advise buying a second plant.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The following paragraph is an exact copy of my post on your other thread about the same topic. I'm not sure why, but new posters often create two identical threads. Perhaps the site makes it appear like their first thread did not post. Hopefully, the webmaster can fix this.

If you are asking if you can dig up a planted specimen of a tree or shrub and repot it (or replant it). The answer is possibly yes, but not without risk. Such a procedure is traumatic to a plant's root system. It is best attempted towards the end of Winter, while the tree is still quiescent or dormant, but after the coldest weather has passed. Deciduous plant such as roses or (small) Gingko often do better. as do shallowly rooted plants such as Rhododendron. Obviously smaller and more recently planted specimens would also likely fare better.
if the plant absolutely needs to removed or taken down, you really have nothing to risk but the effort, give it a try. However, if it is just a case of wanting the plant more in another spot, I would advise buying a second plant.
Thank you, all very helpful.

Ask a Question