Transplanting Roses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a beautiful rose bush in the backyard near an area where we are doing some landscaping, and I am considering transplanting the rose to a different area of the yard. Do you have any tips for transplanting roses? Is there a certain time of the year that it's better to transplant, such as before or after flowering? Are there any items I should consider in terms of the new area to plant it, such as amount of sun or shade?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a beautiful rose bush in the backyard near an area where we are doing some landscaping, and I am considering transplanting the rose to a different area of the yard. Do you have any tips for transplanting roses? Is there a certain time of the year that it's better to transplant, such as before or after flowering? Are there any items I should consider in terms of the new area to plant it, such as amount of sun or shade?
Now is the best time to transplant if your soil will not freeze. Have you other hole already dug and get as much of the root system as you possibly can and prune heavily. Plant it in full sun. Make sure the new hole has good drainage

Reaction score
As the best time to move roses is late winter or early spring just as they are coming out of dormancy - although they do generally survive being transplanted at almost any time of the year - I agree with Chuck - that as long as you're not experiencing or expecting freezing conditions - it should be fine to move your rose any time from now on.

Also - although its normal when moving a rose bush to cut the growth down by at least half or preferably more - this is normally best done prior to the move - but most important of all - although many people are tempted to use fertilizer at the time of transplanting or just after - thinking that it would be helping the plant - it is very important NOT to at this point - as it is better to wait until there is new growth before fertilizing - otherwise you stand the chance of landing up with a disease prone rose - with a weak root system that produces lots of spindly top growth and hardly any blooms.

In fact if you do nothing after transplanting roses - other than keep them moist until you see the first signs of new growth - and when you do - only give them a light dressing of potassium rich fertilizer - not only will they recover much quicker and better - but it will ensure - a rose bush with a strong healthy root system that flowers abundantly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I guess you have to time the transplanting by spring time when plants are in high energy mode. The mix of warm sunshine and cold weather is conducive for the plant's health. But I suggest that you prepare the site for transplanting 1 week before so the soil will be stable. And fertilizer, organic if possible, should be applied a few days before transplanting. Good luck and I hope your rose will give you more flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm still transplanting roses the way my Mother and her Mother did, dig a hole deeper than you really need fill it with water let it drain and then add a large hand full of compost cover with a little soil and then plant your rose, water well and then water lightly when needed, so far I've had good luck by doing it this way.

Ask a Question