Transplanting Jacob Cline question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 and 4
Country
United States
I live in mid Oakland county Michigan (zone 6) my Jacob Cline is already crotch high and spreading like crazy as usual. I am wondering if it would survive a division and cut back for transplanting up north to my cabin (zone 4 ) where I've been slowly creating a butterfly and hummingbird retreat. It's been a weirdly slow spring up there and the last frost was this week. In the past I've been able to take some divisions up when they were only a few inches tall. I tried transplanting some in my yard because of the height it didn't go so well. Kind of falling over.

Any thoughts? There are also shorter sprouts mixed in with the tall ones. It seems like a Hardy plant and would bounce back. I just don't want to bother digging, cutting, and transporting with dirt in a box and not have it survive.

I welcome all input!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Monarda didyma 'Jacob Cline' should transplant well as long as proper soil moisture is maintained during establishment. If rain is not expected be sure to supplement with irrigation. I would cut stems low before digging them up. This will maintain a better balance of leaf to root during establishment, while also make digging and transporting easier.

Ask a Question