Transplanting Corn that's already in the garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
I sowed corn on May 20th. I sowed one kernel every six inches in two 10 foot rows. The problem is that not all the corn germinated and there are some big gaps in the rows. The plants that did come up are in need of thinning and I was wondering instead of throwing away the excess plants if I could transplant them to fill some of the gaps, creating a shorter two rows in order to encourage cross pollination.
Is it possible to transplants corn plants that have been growing in the ground for almost a month. The highest plants are about 9 inches tall. The other option is to leave them be but I fear that there are too many gaps between the two rows for successful pollination.
Any suggestion or information would be greatly appreciated. I have not been able to find anything online.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Hhmm I think if you have to thin anyway, and you can remove the offenders without messing with the ones you want to leave, why not try transplant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I sowed corn on May 20th. I sowed one kernel every six inches in two 10 foot rows. The problem is that not all the corn germinated and there are some big gaps in the rows. The plants that did come up are in need of thinning and I was wondering instead of throwing away the excess plants if I could transplant them to fill some of the gaps, creating a shorter two rows in order to encourage cross pollination.
Is it possible to transplants corn plants that have been growing in the ground for almost a month. The highest plants are about 9 inches tall. The other option is to leave them be but I fear that there are too many gaps between the two rows for successful pollination.
Any suggestion or information would be greatly appreciated. I have not been able to find anything online.

Thanks
Depending upon where you are located you will probably have time to re-seed the entire thing. Most hybrids are about 70-85 days. Re-seed and double up on planting-----that is plant 2 seeds instead of one and after sprouting remove the weakest plant. Sweet corn is a hot weather plant so it should have plenty of time to mature

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I start my seed in rootrainers and transplant at ~ 6 inches.
Trouble is, I don't know how deep the roots would be by then if they were in the soil.
Try one; you'll find out soon enough.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank You everyone. Chuck, re-seeding is such an easy solution. I'm located in in Maine. So I have plenty of time to start from seeds.
Sometimes your so close to the problem its hard to see the the solution.
Thanks again everyone.
Ryan

Ask a Question