Transplanted sunflower seedlings

Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hi all, I am totally new to gardening. This is my first batch of plants, and I want to nurture them and not kill them! My sunflower seedlings are a couple weeks old now, and have so far survived a transplant from the peat pot into the pot. Transplant happened on Thursday. Basically my boyfriend and I just threw a bunch of seeds into the peat pots, and after a bunch germinated we transplanted them, after first set of true leaves, into an 18inch deep pot, with some rocks at the bottom. I used some miracle grow transplant solution on them as well. My question is how should I thin out? I plan on keeping, one in each little corner. Should I try to salvage the other healthy looking seedlings? And also, when is it appropriate to start using compost and fertilizer? I have access to espresso grinds from my job, and I have a carton of egg shells I have been saving! Along with some 14 14 14 osmocote. Finally, the first enclosed picture is of one of the plants that brings concern. some of the stems are purple, and on a few plants the leaves seem a little yellowy and thinner... Might they have a fungus?? Thanks so much for the help!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 2648 View attachment 2647 Hi all, I am totally new to gardening. This is my first batch of plants, and I want to nurture them and not kill them! My sunflower seedlings are a couple weeks old now, and have so far survived a transplant from the peat pot into the pot. Transplant happened on Thursday. Basically my boyfriend and I just threw a bunch of seeds into the peat pots, and after a bunch germinated we transplanted them, after first set of true leaves, into an 18inch deep pot, with some rocks at the bottom. I used some miracle grow transplant solution on them as well. My question is how should I thin out? I plan on keeping, one in each little corner. Should I try to salvage the other healthy looking seedlings? And also, when is it appropriate to start using compost and fertilizer? I have access to espresso grinds from my job, and I have a carton of egg shells I have been saving! Along with some 14 14 14 osmocote. Finally, the first enclosed picture is of one of the plants that brings concern. some of the stems are purple, and on a few plants the leaves seem a little yellowy and thinner... Might they have a fungus?? Thanks so much for the help!!
When you thin them use scissors and snip them That way you can't damage any roots. I would wait a few more days before thinning and then thin the weakest in each bunch. What is the growing medium in the pot now? Is it potting soil or something else?. And please don't get started using chemicals like osmocote, learn to do it organically. I can answer the rest of you questions after I find out what is in the pot and where you are located

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Sunflowers are one of my most favorite plants, and I like to grow as many of them as possible. I usually buy the bag of sunflowers for birds, and then go along the fence line and plant them. Sometimes, the squirrels come along behind me, dig them up and eat the seeds. Then, i come out to check on them and find all of the little seeds hulls scattered along in the dirt.
So now, I have started sprouting the sunflowers before i set them out, and that seems to be working fine, as long as I can transplant them before they get spindly , or then they fall over easily and don't grow.

Reaction score
When you thin them use scissors and snip them That way you can't damage any roots. I would wait a few more days before thinning and then thin the weakest in each bunch. What is the growing medium in the pot now? Is it potting soil or something else?. And please don't get started using chemicals like osmocote, learn to do it organically. I can answer the rest of you questions after I find out what is in the pot and where you are located
Thanks for your response! Yes, I have been holding off on chemicals, but I did use miracle grow transplant solutions as I read sunflowers don't take to transplants very well. I used basic potting soil, the cheapest stuff you can get at good ole wal mart LOL. It's called "gardeners pride". I live in central florida about 30 minutes from the east coast.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for your response! Yes, I have been holding off on chemicals, but I did use miracle grow transplant solutions as I read sunflowers don't take to transplants very well. I used basic potting soil, the cheapest stuff you can get at good ole wal mart LOL. It's called "gardeners pride". I live in central florida about 30 minutes from the east coast.
That's what I was afraid of. Your "Gardners Pride" is just about useless as a potting soil by itself. When I saw the pic at first I thought it was mulch. It will be very difficult if not impossible to transplant the seedlings out of that without damaging the little roots severly. So here is what I would advise if you still want to try and grow them in that medium First never step foot in another Big Box Store if you are looking for advise on growing plants or for that matter even buying plants. The experts there were burger flippers last week. Go to a reputable local nursery. Second, go to this nursery and buy a small bag of top quality compost that is of a very fine texture. Put about 3 tablespoons into a glass of water and stir it up. Let it sit for a couple of hours to let the chlorine in you tap water gas off, and then gently water all of the plants. You will probably have to water often because that stuff they are planted in is so coarse that the water will just pass right on through. Just remember to keep watering them with the compost tea If and when the plants have at least 3 sets of true leaves cover the potting soil with about 1/4" of the compost. If they survive all of this send me a pic and I will advise on what next to do..Good Luck

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I transplanted some of mine and gave them to my mother. I just made sure that didn't disturb their roots too much, and they survived just fine. Yours look fantastic, and they will be wonderful!

Ask a Question