Training Shrubs Into Trees--Stake Question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Just moved into a new house. We had no say on the front landscape, but they planted tons of shrubs! I've noticed many people in the neighborhood have the same types trained as trees and I love the look. I will probably have more questions, but it for now, how tall from the ground should my single stakes be? They are about 1.5 years old. Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Hummingbird, I'm missing it (not an unusual state of affairs). If you want to train a shrub, which is multi-trunked, into a tree, pruning is necessary. For example Crepe Myrtles are shrubs, but by careful pruning they can become tree form.
What I don't understand is about staking. Have you pruned to tree form and need to stake the tree to keep it upright? Where the stakes are placed depends on the size of the tree (shrubs shouldn't need staking).
If you could identify the shrub you are talking about, and give an indication of its current height, it would be most helpful. A couple of pictures of the plant wouldn't hurt, either:)!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Different shrubs have different pruning requirements so the best thing is to identify what you have to know when is best as well as how much to prune. How to shape them will depend on what they are, what they currently look like, and what their growth rate is.

Ask a Question