Tools For Weed Control

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
With all the discussion about weeds and what to use/do to get rid of them, I did a search just now to find a specific tool I wanted to show that made the process of weeding easier and more effective. In the process I found a great image of a variety of tools that if you don't have you'll want to get, since the best defense for weeds in the garden is a good offense.

006.jpg

The tool at the far right is the one I was recommending, a hand weeder. You can get these at the dollar store if you can't afford to invest in a tool set at the garden center, and as long as you don't abuse them, they should last a while until you can upgrade.

This image is a from a blog articles that says "weeding teaches you how to weed." (Find it here: http://audreydriscoll.com/2013/06/09/weeding-part-2-how-to-weed/) Ridding the garden bed of wild/volunteer plants should be a labor of love. So skip the sprays; get yourself a hand weeder, then grab a garden stool and a bucket or reusable sack, and spend some quality time enjoying the serenity (and stress relief) that nature can provide.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Yea but ChanellG what you really need for weed control is one of these Guys. i am not even kidding when I tell you that about a month into the season I am starting to scavenge other peoples property for enough weeds to feed my guy. They are very effective for broad leaf weed removal and actually pretty comical to watch. I had to go with a big guy because the little ones get off in the thick and are harder to find. In relation to size my sulcata (we call him Killah) is a literal walking boulder
tor.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I wish our climate would accommodate one of these guys, we had box turtles as a kid and they made pretty decent pets. How "big" is he and did you snag him from the wild or get him from a pet store?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Just make sure the turtle is the box type and not of the snapping variety!! At our last house, we had a swimming pool in the backyard and I got a big surprise one morning when I went out for a swim. Yikes - :eek: This thing was huge, and really ticked off when we finally got him fished out of the pool. He was not a happy camper. I think he would have gladly taken a finger off!

turtle.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Priced out of the market for Tortoises here, since they banned taking them from the wild a baby one will set you back £250 now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Haha, Galmal, this creature is huge! It's facial expression is priceless:D
When I was a child, I had many tortoises. Back then, they were very inexpensive pets. You could get one for less than $20. What they love the most are dandelion leaves.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Mine used to love opium poppy leaves.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just make sure the turtle is the box type and not of the snapping variety!! At our last house, we had a swimming pool in the backyard and I got a big surprise one morning when I went out for a swim. Yikes - :eek: This thing was huge, and really ticked off when we finally got him fished out of the pool. He was not a happy camper. I think he would have gladly taken a finger off!

View attachment 4498

Snappers are pretty crazy to handle. I had to carry a HUGE one across a highway last year so it didn't get hit. Also had to save a small one from getting run over in a parking lot. I recommend lifting the tail a bit and sliding your hand underneath. It's the best way to move them, since they can tear you up with their claws pretty good if you hold them on the sides. (y)

IMG_6988_2.png

DSCN2260.png

Ask a Question