Too many seedlings in a pot ...what do I do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

new member, novice gardener ..after spending many years with garden envy I have now decided to up my game and get my back yard potted up .

I have planted some seeds in a tray ...think these are Clary Sage (first mistake make sure you know which seeds are in which pots !!). I think some may also be basil !! Anyway not usually having much success with seeds I didn’t pay much attention to how many in a pot ... Now I am worried that there are too many ... what should I do ?!

Should I leave them a bit longer or try (!) and split them now ?!

Any guidance would be gratefully recieved - have lots of seeds on the go - most look comfortable but you will see from the picture those that are over crowded.

This is my first post so apologies if I have missed some forum etiquette by not saying hello - I can go back and do that later ...

thanks in advance
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Sarah, welcome to the forums :)

The first thing is - don`t panic, pat yourself on the back for getting them to germinate !!
If I were you I`d wait until the true leaves form - I can only see cotyledons at the moment. They will be easier to handle then, and then pot them up singly. Keep them just damp for now.

If you have Basil and Clary sage there, they will soon start to show the differences.

I usually sow seeds in half seed trays, and quite often get heavy handed with them and sow too many. Just make sure that when it`s time to pot them up they`re not too wet, and use a plant label or something similar to wiggle them out of the compost a bit before you pick them up by the leaves only - don`t touch the stems!

Most important of all, enjoy what you`re doing. Think how much money you`re saving by growing from seed.

I pricked out about 90 white lupins yesterday. At the plant nursery this morning they were selling them at £3 each !! Work that out :happy:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't think you have to keep every one either, pot on what you want/need and drop the rest in the compost, it's only worth having 90 white lupins if you have something to do with them. I give a lot of stuff away, but it is very easy to get carried away looking after things you don't want.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't think you have to keep every one either, pot on what you want/need and drop the rest in the compost, it's only worth having 90 white lupins if you have something to do with them. I give a lot of stuff away, but it is very easy to get carried away looking after things you don't want.
Mr Buckle, when you have 4 acres to fill you need every lupin you can get
1618351663962.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Sarah, welcome to the forums :)

The first thing is - don`t panic, pat yourself on the back for getting them to germinate !!
If I were you I`d wait until the true leaves form - I can only see cotyledons at the moment. They will be easier to handle then, and then pot them up singly. Keep them just damp for now.

If you have Basil and Clary sage there, they will soon start to show the differences.

I usually sow seeds in half seed trays, and quite often get heavy handed with them and sow too many. Just make sure that when it`s time to pot them up they`re not too wet, and use a plant label or something similar to wiggle them out of the compost a bit before you pick them up by the leaves only - don`t touch the stems!

Most important of all, enjoy what you`re doing. Think how much money you`re saving by growing from seed.

I pricked out about 90 white lupins yesterday. At the plant nursery this morning they were selling them at £3 each !! Work that out :happy:
Thank you

Ask a Question