Tomatos turning brown

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tomatos are in pots. As of right now, all tomatos I am getting, the bottom of them is rotting - read it is called blossom rot and caused by lack of calcium.
I did make the mistake of having to many plants in the pot and have since cut this down, but what needs to be done to add the calcium (or stop the blossom rot)?
Was this because if you many in to little space and not getting nutrients or is this something I should be more concerned with?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Tomatos are in pots. As of right now, all tomatos I am getting, the bottom of them is rotting - read it is called blossom rot and caused by lack of calcium.
I did make the mistake of having to many plants in the pot and have since cut this down, but what needs to be done to add the calcium (or stop the blossom rot)?
Was this because if you many in to little space and not getting nutrients or is this something I should be more concerned with?
It is not a lack of calcium it is the plants inability to uptake calcium. If you will sprinkle a handful of epsom salts around the base of the plant and water it in it will stop the BER. It won't do anything to fruits already affected however. BER is rarely the fault of the gardener. Next year plant 1 plant per container, put a handful of rock phosphate or bonemeal into the hole and sprinkle a big handful of epsom salts around the base of the seedling transplant. No more BER and more tomato blooms...........guaranteed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, that’s a simple fix. I was reading about all these chemicals to have to add. I will do put epson salt out this morning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, that’s a simple fix. I was reading about all these chemicals to have to add. I will do put epson salt out this morning.
Put it on everything. Peppers, melons and eggplant get BER too. Also it does more than just stop BER as it helps overall growth of most plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Your watering regime is the most likely cause of your plants' failure to take up calcium.
Magnesium aids the take-up temporarily, but unless you amend watering, you'll get it again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your watering regime is the most likely cause of your plants' failure to take up calcium.
Magnesium aids the take-up temporarily, but unless you amend watering, you'll get it again.
Maybe in the UK. Not here. Here in the south irregular watering rarely leads to BER. About all it does is affect foliage growth and causes cracks and splits in fruit.

Ask a Question