tomatoes that sting ... a little

Reaction score
It seems like (though probably not so) that I am pretty much alone in my taste for tomatoes. What I really want from a tomato has eluded me for a long time and I'm wondering if anyone has some ideas. I love acidic beefsteak tomatoes; the kind my grandfather grew in his backyard in Kansas City, Mo. and on his farm outside of Olathe Kansas.
Every year I ask the local plant vendors if anyone knows of someone growing any variety of acidic tomatoes. Blank stare and shake of head. If I could find any truly acidic flavored tomato, beefsteak or no, I'd gladly take them.

My grandfather also grew Golden Jubilee corn. Don't see it in the market or seed racks around here either. I live in Olympia, Wa.

Any other lovers of these types of vegetables out there? Or any tips on where to find some seed varieties/starter plants of them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, as far a tomatoes go you can find those types of seeds all over the place, for now. Just look online for seed companys. As for just about everything else they have just about been hybridized out of existance by so called horticultural experts searching for some sort of Holy Grail of plants, doing everything from cross-pollinating to changing the DNA of the plants themselves, supposedly in the name productivity but actually IMO just chasing the bottom line of coorporate profits steadily upwards without reguards for the unintended consequences of the loss of old, proven and reliable seeds that have fed us for decades. These people have made it impossible for individuals to grow and eat the vegetables that are acclimated to their locality and climate. Everything from asperagus to zucinni is affected by these people. No longer can I obtain seeds for the absolute best brocolli for my area ever grown, Green Comet. There is something better they say and it is called Southern Comet. Just like any other government entity they lied. No I am stuck with an inferior plant and no recourse. Something has to be done or the Governments will control all of our food supplies. What will happen when the only seeds available are GMO's or some other frankentype and they will only germinate if innoculated with an innoculant controlled by-----------yes the Government

Reaction score
You are not alone cravingflavor - as I too like tomatoes with a slightly tangy acidic flavor and although I always grow tomatoes so that I have a variety of both flavor and size - I always grow some specifically for their tangy acidic flavor and as you are looking for a beefsteak tomato with with an acidic flavor - can highly recommend the following heirloom varieties

Brandywine - which although not the prettiest tomato around - has a wonderfully tart acidic flavor
Big Boy - a deliciously tasty tomato with slightly acidic bite
Black Tula - an incredibley tasty tomato with a strong tangy slightly acidic flavor
Giant Belgium - one of the best tasting tomatoes with a well balanced tangy flavor

and although I haven't grown the following myself Big Zebra and Green Zebra are said to be very acidic tasting - as is Purple Calabash - which is said to be the ugliest and most acidic tasting tomato around.

If you are trying to replicate the flavor of your grandfathers tomatoes - then I think that you would be best only choosing to grow heirloom varieties - as I've found that they are the best for getting that traditional tomato flavor that is missing in many of the new varieties.

As the acidity of tomatoes can often be determined by the color I have included a this link

http://tomatoheadquarters.com/tomat...o-varieties-flavor-profiles-related-to-color/

which I think you might find useful as it gives the flavor profile of a variety of heirloom tomatoes based on their color :)

Reaction score
Well, as far a tomatoes go you can find those types of seeds all over the place, for now. Just look online for seed companys. As for just about everything else they have just about been hybridized out of existance by so called horticultural experts searching for some sort of Holy Grail of plants, doing everything from cross-pollinating to changing the DNA of the plants themselves, supposedly in the name productivity but actually IMO just chasing the bottom line of coorporate profits steadily upwards without reguards for the unintended consequences of the loss of old, proven and reliable seeds that have fed us for decades. These people have made it impossible for individuals to grow and eat the vegetables that are acclimated to their locality and climate. Everything from asperagus to zucinni is affected by these people. No longer can I obtain seeds for the absolute best brocolli for my area ever grown, Green Comet. There is something better they say and it is called Southern Comet. Just like any other government entity they lied. No I am stuck with an inferior plant and no recourse. Something has to be done or the Governments will control all of our food supplies. What will happen when the only seeds available are GMO's or some other frankentype and they will only germinate if innoculated with an innoculant controlled by-----------yes the Government

Thanks, Chuck. Don't want to veer too far into the political realm, but I believe we get the government we deserve ... most of the time. And that especially goes for the Congress. The turnout for midterm elections is abysmal and a disgrace. If only one view is supported, in either political direction, the results will be badly misshapen.

It is a shame that good food is under such pressure. I do agree that the corporations rarely have our interests in mind. Glad there are
folks who are trying very hard to keep what is worth having alive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I also like my tomatos to have a little tang, but at the same time, I can't eat them raw. I have never developed a taste for raw tomatos, but I can eat them cooked all day long! I also like to add some spices to my tomatos to make them tangy and spicy when they are cooked.

Reaction score
You are not alone cravingflavor - as I too like tomatoes with a slightly tangy acidic flavor and although I always grow tomatoes so that I have a variety of both flavor and size - I always grow some specifically for their tangy acidic flavor and as you are looking for a beefsteak tomato with with an acidic flavor - can highly recommend the following heirloom varieties

Brandywine - which although not the prettiest tomato around - has a wonderfully tart acidic flavor
Black Tula - an incredibley tasty tomato with a strong tangy slightly acidic flavor
Giant Belgium - one of the best tasting tomatoes with a well balanced tangy flavor

and although I haven't grown the following myself Big Zebra and Green Zebra are said to be very acidic tasting - as is Purple Calabash - which is said to be the ugliest and most acidic tasting tomato around.

If you are trying to replicate the flavor of your grandfathers tomatoes - then I think that you would be best only choosing to grow heirloom varieties - as I've found that they are the best for getting that traditional tomato flavor that is missing in many of the new varieties.

As the acidity of tomatoes can often be determined by the color I have included a this link

http://tomatoheadquarters.com/tomat...o-varieties-flavor-profiles-related-to-color/

which I think you might find useful as it gives the flavor profile of a variety of heirloom tomatoes based on their color :)

Gata Montes, thanks for the great link. Great article. Looks like the Red and Green Heirloom tomatoes are where I'm most likely to find my way home. Do you by any chance grow corn? It's a space hungry crop, but it's another example of just not finding what flavor is engrained in my memory of corn on the cob. The Bodacious variety comes the closest of what we've been able to find, but still a little sweet for me. All corn has to be cooked and eaten as quickly as possible after picking or it always is flat and starchy to me. But the basic "corny" corn taste is necessary for me to get that grinning "ear to ear" result. Again, thanks for the help.

Reaction score
You're welcome cravingflavor hopefully now you will be able to find a tomato flavor that will produce that " ear to ear " result that you are looking for :D

Much as I would love to be able to assist in the same way with corn - unfortunately even though I do grow almost every type of vegetable - corn is not one of them - mainly because where I live - our summer temperatures are so hot that what you were hoping to be sweetcorn - very quickly turns into popcorn before its even left the plant :LOL:

Reaction score
You could probably just grow some of your own in acidic soil, that might work. Most people try to avoid making their tomatoes into acidic tasting fruits that give you heartburn. But I am sure you could just plant them in some special soil to get the desired flavor you wanted.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It seems like (though probably not so) that I am pretty much alone in my taste for tomatoes. What I really want from a tomato has eluded me for a long time and I'm wondering if anyone has some ideas. I love acidic beefsteak tomatoes; the kind my grandfather grew in his backyard in Kansas City, Mo. and on his farm outside of Olathe Kansas.
Every year I ask the local plant vendors if anyone knows of someone growing any variety of acidic tomatoes. Blank stare and shake of head. If I could find any truly acidic flavored tomato, beefsteak or no, I'd gladly take them.

My grandfather also grew Golden Jubilee corn. Don't see it in the market or seed racks around here either. I live in Olympia, Wa.

Any other lovers of these types of vegetables out there? Or any tips on where to find some seed varieties/starter plants of them?
I always start Burpee's Supertasty. Hybrid, but surprisingly acidic. Med sized tomatoes. I am ordering seeds today, as a matter of fact,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Territorial Seeds offer Golden Jubilee corn (www.territorialseed.com) as does Shumway (http://www.rhshumway.com).
Of the two, I prefer Territorial--more reliable even though a bit more expensive.
We plant Celebrity tomatoes--an old variety with good acidic "bite". It is also ideal for canning since the acid level allows safe canning without adding lemon juice or other acids.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Like Marlin said,territorial seed co. has what ya need and their in Oregon, just looked in 2015 catalog .

Ask a Question