Tomatoes for beginners

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there! I have planted my first ever vegetable plants this year, I used a raised bed. I planted the weekend before Easter (I am in Alabama so it’s been mostly warm already) and they have been doing great, but I went out today to check on them and noticed my grape tomato plant has some bad spots on it. None of the other plants do ( I only have the one grape tomato, the others are better boys and in the other container I have squash and cucumber , all of those seem to be doing fantastic) it has me worried and whatever the issue is I want to get it under control before it gets worse. Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
498F115E-0A87-449A-9D8A-42D9AC6B07D6.jpeg

Attachments

• 16D03A0F-0015-40C8-B88A-657A9671E6EF.jpeg
    16D03A0F-0015-40C8-B88A-657A9671E6EF.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 1A3325D3-9580-401D-9B88-71C6F6C89DEB.jpeg
    1A3325D3-9580-401D-9B88-71C6F6C89DEB.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 592CB6A7-601C-420F-AE89-2448873BFC46.jpeg
    592CB6A7-601C-420F-AE89-2448873BFC46.jpeg
    355.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 1CA89F6F-0B1C-4A2D-AD0C-EC687CC03FBC.jpeg
    1CA89F6F-0B1C-4A2D-AD0C-EC687CC03FBC.jpeg
    390.9 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh great thank you! I was doing some searching online and was worried it was blight
It could be early blight but it is awfully early in the season to be so. It is best to remove all limbs but leave the suckers up to about 1 foot to keep soil from splashing up onto the leaves. Place mulch around the base of the plant out to the drip line of the plant. You can also spray with hydrogen peroxide mixed at 2 cups of 3% per gallon of water once every 2 weeks and Neem Oil on alternate weeks. There is no cure for early blight but by doing these things you can maintain the plant long enough for a complete harvest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi there! I have planted my first ever vegetable plants this year, I used a raised bed. I planted the weekend before Easter (I am in Alabama so it’s been mostly warm already) and they have been doing great, but I went out today to check on them and noticed my grape tomato plant has some bad spots on it. None of the other plants do ( I only have the one grape tomato, the others are better boys and in the other container I have squash and cucumber , all of those seem to be doing fantastic) it has me worried and whatever the issue is I want to get it under control before it gets worse. Thanks!
Roll Tide!, fellow mosquito swatter! I have detailed plans for Bama 'maters, and some local knowledge so hit the message function! I live near that university south of the 'ham.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had to start mine indoors; last month. I'm growing Burger King tomatoes this year. I have no idea which variety they are, but they taste great on the sandwich, so I figured they should be ok.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I had to start mine indoors; last month. I'm growing Burger King tomatoes this year. I have no idea which variety they are, but they taste great on the sandwich, so I figured they should be ok.
I am betting some sorto_ steak hybrid determinate. They get quite large fast and need food but not too much nitrogen, higher potassium is better.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am betting some sorto_ steak hybrid determinate. They get quite large fast and need food but not too much nitrogen, higher potassium is better.
My leaves are kind of purpleish. I read somewhere that it means they're low on potassium. In regards to the steak idea. I remember McDonald tomatoes coming in a box years ago, and they were the size of an orange. Now this is a totally different establishment, and it's been nearly 40 years, so there's no telling what they're using now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My leaves are kind of purpleish. I read somewhere that it means they're low on potassium. In regards to the steak idea. I remember McDonald tomatoes coming in a box years ago, and they were the size of an orange. Now this is a totally different establishment, and it's been nearly 40 years, so there's no telling what they're using now.
Go get some tomato tone or find something that approximates the recipe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is neat that you grew a tomato from a whopper jr but in my opinion they aren't a great tasting tomato. It's probably one of those hybrids that are meant for production and it wont breed true to what it was meant to be to start with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sulphur is a great flavor enhancer. Thus magnesium sulphate is used on kitchen garden crops. Epson Salts by another name. The magnesium has a good effect also.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is neat that you grew a tomato from a whopper jr but in my opinion they aren't a great tasting tomato. It's probably one of those hybrids that are meant for production and it wont breed true to what it was meant to be to start with.
I suppose if they crossbred with something else, I could end up with a slightly different tomato. It started out by watching a video about food deserts (grocery stores that relocated due to high crime), so there are none left in the community. People were complaining about not having access to fresh vegetables, and not having transportation for stores that were out of walking distance. Someone said grow your own, and another person said they couldn't get to a store for seeds. I thought about getting the seeds from a salad (for cucumbers and tomatoes), and another person suggested using food scraps. Due to the "virus", a lot of fast food places don't have salads anymore, so I went with the next best thing. Anyway, I wanted to show people that it was possible. I think I have over 30 plants; too many for me. I've found some neighbors who will take some off my hands. Sorry to ramble.

Ask a Question