Tomatoes and fishes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I read on a pin (from pinterest) to put a fish head at the bottom of the hole where you plant your tomatoes. It also said to put a bunch of other things in the hole- eggshells, and aspirin, organic fertilizer, worm compost. Then you put a couple inches of soil in and then you put the tomato plan in, cutting off all the top leaves and burying it as deep as you can.

I did use this method Saturday when I planted about 8 tomato plants. Only thing was, I couldn't find fish heads, but I did get some salmon skins from a local restaurant. Do you think the salmon skins will work just as well? Do you think this will work?

I'm such a worry wart!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure about adding aspirin :cautious:

Fish waste is best fermented in urine first, breaks it down to make it availble to the plants easier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I'm not sure about the aspirin thing either. Seems like urine is very popular lately :LOL: but again I don't know. I've heard of the fish head thing though. It's an old indian (American) planting technique. I think it's corn, squash and beans. I'm too lazy to google it but it's called the 3 sisters or something like that. :unsure:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
that was basically what the pilgrims and first US citizens used to fertilize things with. In today's world we usually would compost all that and mix in some loam and some soil and then use that compound, as it would likely be a more well rounded fertilize than a whole part of the fish or critter.

Let us know, Rosie how it works. I would worry about a skunk, raccoon, or cat digging up such a tasty treat and destroying my plants in the process.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
In a garden I use to have about 6 yrs ago,we use to go offshore fishing and would bury the carcass in between the rows and it worked wonders :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Let us know, Rosie how it works. I would worry about a skunk, raccoon, or cat digging up such a tasty treat and destroying my plants in the process.
Will do, David. I will probably plant two more tomato plants without the fish so I may be able to compare them. Also, I put the fish stuff at the bottom of a deep hole, about two spade's depth, so hopefully the cats and raccoons will not be that ambitious. But I'll keep y'all posted.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have used the water from my fish tank to help feed my indoor plants and garden in the past and got very good results.

Ask a Question