Tomatoes and BER

Reaction score
Country
United States
So my tomatoes this are growing great. I have two beds. The first bed is beafsteat, Delicious, and Money Makers. The second bed is Roma and Amish paste tomatoes. The first bed with the slicing tomatoes are doing great, no BER at all. In my second bed the plants all look great and healthy. The first set of flowers/fruit look great and are starting to turn. The second set of fruit on almost all of the plants have gotten BER on the majority of tomatoes growing. Then the third set of fruit after that almost all of them do not have BER and look great. During the second set of fruit we had almost 7-10 straight days of 90's with no rain. I have kept everything watered consistently throughout the season so far. Do I chalk up the BER on that second set of fruit to being from the extreme heat. Or do I worry that I have a calcium issue with those plants. I thought so at first but then without doing anything the third set of fruit all look BER free. All of my 8 beds have the same soil mixture in them. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated. I will include some pictures of the tomato beds below.

IMG_7436.jpeg
IMG_7439.jpeg
IMG_7311.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Romas are big producers of a sizeable fruit. They consume a lot in so doing. A lot of smaller fruit like a cherry or a few big ones like the big steak types seem to be the opposite ends of the spectrum with Roma and its production blowing the curve in the middle.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the other hand with the same plants in the same soil producing healthy fruit can it be the soil? Extreme heat does take a lot of water out of the soil, and even if you watered were the frequency and volume enough? Actually frequency seems the most important to me, if they are drying in the heat there is a swing between wet and dry, the same amount of water applied in smaller amounts over the same period will give more consistent soil conditions, and plants do like consistency.

Ask a Question