TOMATO WATERING

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in Northern Va. Loudoun County. I am using vegtrug with green house for first time.
Tomatoes, cukes and peppers.
Can't bend easily. Very hot summers here.
I plan to use Drip watering.
Question is how much and how often?
Newby needs help.
thanx
hn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As for how much and how often it is impossible to say because there are too many variables involved. First of all too much water isn't what usually kills a plant, it is the lack of oxygen that does the actual killing. In containers if you will saturate the entire volume of soil before you plant your seedlings it will make things much easier. Just let the soil get DRY for a couple of inches deep before watering again. The soil around the root zone will still be damp or moist but water until the soil is saturated 2 or 3 inches deep. When using a drip system the water goes down into the soil in a cone shape. At soil level let the saturated soil get to about 12 in diameter. This will ensure a good deep watering. You do not want to keep your soil wet. You want it to drain until the soil just stays moist, not wet. Wet soil forces out oxygen and that leads to root rot and death.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What kind of drip system? I use the T-tape drip tape with emitters every 12". I bought a big roll at my local CO-OP years ago and I just roll them back up and keep reusing them for a few years until they clog up or tear up. You also have to have a pressure regulator and filter.

You have to know the emitters flow rate and how many there are to figure up the gallons per hour to estimate how long to drip water. I let mine run for 45 min at 7.5 psi. I have used soaker hoses in the past but they drip quicker so you don't let them run as long.

Something I go by is how hot the weather is between waterings. This is with established plants. Newly planted transplants may require more frequent watering. If it rains good then I count that as me watering and start my count over.
90-100F = every 2-3 days.
80-90F = every 3-4 days.
70-80F = every 4-5 days.
60-70F = every 5-6 days.
But I usually take a trowel and dig near my water line to see how wet it is before I decide to water. That is the deciding factor.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If you have good drainage, 1/2 pint per plant per day until they are 2 feet tall then 1 pint per plant per day, until they start fruiting, then it's back too 1/2 pint per day.
Two of these waterings per week need to be of tomato feed, as your trug is essentially a big pot. One feed a week if your toms are in the ground.

Ask a Question