Tomato trellis fell

Reaction score
Country
United States
During a storm my tomato trellis fell. I am a new gardener in Dallas, Texas. Should I rebuild a v-bracket type trellis so it’s more supported, leave it growing on the house, or wait until the soil dries and stand it back up and try to re-enforce it somehow? The tomatoes are growing up the strings already. These are determinant Tomatos. Thank you in advance

Attachments

• EF443352-1182-4646-A348-72EB4A5D646A.jpeg
    EF443352-1182-4646-A348-72EB4A5D646A.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 8FDA3151-3CC2-4A8A-9BAE-3A579575D7DD.jpeg
    8FDA3151-3CC2-4A8A-9BAE-3A579575D7DD.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 111
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your tomatoes are WAY to close together. I am surprised some fungus hasn't killed them all. But being determinate tomatoes you will not have many, if any, tomatoes set fruit because the temperatures now are way too hot for fruit to set. In fact you will be lucky to have blooms open at all. They will probably just fall off. If you can keep them alive you might get a few fall tomatoes but, being determinates, this is doubtful. But if you handle the plants be very careful so as not to break the limbs. They will not damage your house. Just keep them off of the ground

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Your tomatoes are WAY to close together. I am surprised some fungus hasn't killed them all. But being determinate tomatoes you will not have many, if any, tomatoes set fruit because the temperatures now are way too hot for fruit to set. In fact you will be lucky to have blooms open at all. They will probably just fall off. If you can keep them alive you might get a few fall tomatoes but, being determinates, this is doubtful. But if you handle the plants be very careful so as not to break the limbs. They will not damage your house. Just keep them off of the ground
I know they are so close- When I planted, the directions on the seed packet said put 2 seeds in each hole AND I placed them too close together. I wasn't sure if I should try to prune some out or if it can even be saved at this point. I have about 33 small green tomatoes throughout. Fingers crossed. Thank you for your help!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
You are in Texas, so planting tomatoes closer than usual protects the soil and roots from excessive heat. Shade is a wonderful thing! Since your tomatoes are doing well, just leave everything alone until the soil dried a bit, and reinforce the trellis with T-bars. You can get them in 3', 4'. or 6' lengths at farm and ranch stores, or big box stores. It looks like you may need four, one per upright. Hammer the bars into the ground and attach the wooden uprights. Long cable ties are great for this!
Wish my tomatoes looked that good, but we had a hail storm in early June. Oops!

Reaction score
Country
United States
You are in Texas, so planting tomatoes closer than usual protects the soil and roots from excessive heat. Shade is a wonderful thing! Since your tomatoes are doing well, just leave everything alone until the soil dried a bit, and reinforce the trellis with T-bars. You can get them in 3', 4'. or 6' lengths at farm and ranch stores, or big box stores. It looks like you may need four, one per upright. Hammer the bars into the ground and attach the wooden uprights. Long cable ties are great for this!
Wish my tomatoes looked that good, but we had a hail storm in early June. Oops!
Thanks so much! That is a great idea!

Ask a Question