Tomato skin salt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Wow, people come up with some good ideas! I think I'm gonna try this one, at least once :)

"Full disclosure: I have an entire shelf devoted to different salts in my kitchen. But, even if you don’t have a double digit-sized collection of salt, I would still argue that you should make this: It’s the perfect summertime salt. The tomato flavor is definitely there (and yes, it does make fresh tomatoes taste even more tomato-y), but don’t let that constrain you when you're thinking about how to use it. I’ve been enjoying it sprinkled over everything from eggs to corn on the cob. Next, I'm planning to use it to rim glasses for Bloody Marys. I’m certain you’ll admire its pretty pinkish-red color anytime you set out a little cellar of salt—like to accompany fresh radishes with butter."

Click here to read the whole thing (recipe included).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Sounds very interesting, only I rarely ever use table salt. If there is some way to make a seasoning from tomato skin that doesn't involve sodium I might be interested in that. It seems like a lot of work though to peel tomatoes to be ale to use the skins for something.

Reaction score
Awesome recipe, it doesn't sound hard at all =D i might actually give it a try soon, I love the idea of making my own flavored salt. I actually wish I could make my own onion or garlic one. I'm sure my mom would love this :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a fantastic idea and the salt looks like Himalayan sea salt! I have lot of unseasoned sea salt, and one of those bottle will be turning into tomato salt soon :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Awesome recipe, it doesn't sound hard at all =D i might actually give it a try soon, I love the idea of making my own flavored salt. I actually wish I could make my own onion or garlic one. I'm sure my mom would love this :)

Why couldn't you make your own garlic one? I'm sure it can't be that difficult to do. You could either google a recipe or experiment based on the tomato skin method. I rarely use salt so it would go to waste in my kitchen, but it seems all you need to do is mix garlic granules with your favorite salt.

Reaction score
@ChanellG I'm too lazy to make garlic salt, hehehe, I wish I had the impulse to try it, but I'd surely end up getting mine from the store. With tomato salt is different for me because you can't find that at the grocery store. Still I don't think I'll be trying this anytime soon ;) Probably next year, I think it's a nice thing to have :) Depends on how much free time I'll have.

Oh, you don't use salt often? how do you ad flavour to your food? herbs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@ChanellG I'm too lazy to make garlic salt, hehehe... Depends on how much free time I'll have.

Oh, you don't use salt often? how do you ad flavour to your food? herbs?

Believe me I understand! Working 8 hour days outside in the heat leaves me not in the mood to do much else when I get in. It also causes me to be very selective about socializing, and you can imagine how backed up the household chores are - including the garden.

I spent about six hours in the back yard yesterday trying to get caught up (so much more to do). Free time? What's that? LOL

I use a herb seasoning called Spike when I'm not using fresh herbs from the garden.

Reaction score
Believe me I understand! Working 8 hour days outside in the heat leaves me not in the mood to do much else when I get in. It also causes me to be very selective about socializing, and you can imagine how backed up the household chores are - including the garden.

I spent about six hours in the back yard yesterday trying to get caught up (so much more to do). Free time? What's that? LOL

I use a herb seasoning called Spike when I'm not using fresh herbs from the garden.

Oh my!!! Are you working at another gardening center or something like that? That is tough and even more with this weather! Last night I think it was either too hot or I had fever! I was sweating so bad. Do you like summer? Lol, I don't understand those who say they look forward so much to summer and the sun and all that stuff :unsure: I don't like how hot it gets, but I do like the gardening part :whistle: It's starting to get kinda crazy though...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh my!!! Are you working at another gardening center or something like that? That is tough and even more with this weather! Last night I think it was either too hot or I had fever! I was sweating so bad. Do you like summer? Lol, I don't understand those who say they look forward so much to summer and the sun and all that stuff :unsure: I don't like how hot it gets, but I do like the gardening part :whistle: It's starting to get kinda crazy though...

OMG, it's beyond hot! Yes, Lowes cut everyone loose the first week of May. I did some freelance gardening for a few weeks, and now I have a full-time job at a very nice place that also does plant maintenance and landscaping. There's a floral department as well. I had to go in the greenhouse the other afternoon and I got dizzy! After I had a weird pain which I realized later may have been a symptom of the extreme heat.

Can't wait for September.

Reaction score
OMG, it's beyond hot! Yes, Lowes cut everyone loose the first week of May. I did some freelance gardening for a few weeks, and now I have a full-time job at a very nice place that also does plant maintenance and landscaping. There's a floral department as well. I had to go in the greenhouse the other afternoon and I got dizzy! After I had a weird pain which I realized later may have been a symptom of the extreme heat.

Can't wait for September.

Ahhh!!! I'm glad you finally got a steady job doing what you love :) Nothing beats having a steady job, being a frreelancer of any sorts gets so tiring after a while. But I'm glad that is over for you now =D Just remember to drink plenty of water, the other I day I was feeling the same way, felt better after drinking some nice cold water :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Ahhh!!! I'm glad you finally got a steady job doing what you love :) Nothing beats having a steady job, being a frreelancer of any sorts gets so tiring after a while. But I'm glad that is over for you now =D Just remember to drink plenty of water, the other I day I was feeling the same way, felt better after drinking some nice cold water :)

I drink water, water with EmergenC, gatorade, clear soda... Half the time I don't even eat. The rest of the time I have fruit - it's the only way to avoid a stomach ache. Sometimes for dinner I have sorbet or frozen fruit pops. I have never been so hot in my life.

Reaction score
I drink water, water with EmergenC, gatorade, clear soda... Half the time I don't even eat. The rest of the time I have fruit - it's the only way to avoid a stomach ache. Sometimes for dinner I have sorbet or frozen fruit pops. I have never been so hot in my life.

Oh my! I bet you have lost some pounds that way, because that sounds like a really light diet! You put a lot focus on staying hydrated. But to be honest who feels like eating during this time of the year? I don't really crave eating that much either, this time of the year I crave mostly liquids! Warm meals are so meh to me, I'm truly looking forward for this to be over :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh my! I bet you have lost some pounds that way, because that sounds like a really light diet! You put a lot focus on staying hydrated. But to be honest who feels like eating during this time of the year? I don't really crave eating that much either, this time of the year I crave mostly liquids! Warm meals are so meh to me, I'm truly looking forward for this to be over :(

Yes, every time I go out either someone remarks at how dark I am from working in the sun or how thin I am. The thing is, when it comes to pounds I'm barely lighter than my average weight, but I suppose I've lost inches in not retaining so much water. I'm only down one dress size for the whole year.

Ask a Question