Tomato seedlings, what’s wrong?

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Hello,

I showed theses tomato seeds about 4 weeks ago. I am not sure, but it seems as if they are not doing as well as they could, and I am not sure what to do.

if any tomato experts could give me some advice I’d appreciate it. :)

thanks

Attachments

• 8A175B9C-8BAD-4591-BB32-D2E6EED6AE5B.jpeg
    8A175B9C-8BAD-4591-BB32-D2E6EED6AE5B.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 03E7A34A-E33F-4F41-ADFB-180421B87A6B.jpeg
    03E7A34A-E33F-4F41-ADFB-180421B87A6B.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 95
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello,

I showed theses tomato seeds about 4 weeks ago. I am not sure, but it seems as if they are not doing as well as they could, and I am not sure what to do.

if any tomato experts could give me some advice I’d appreciate it. :)

thanks
I think that the main thing is that you are not keeping them warm enough. The reason I say this is because they have purple stems. Keeping the soil too cool will cause trace minerals and more importantly potassium to be locked out and this causes the purple stems. This will cause stunting and later on a reduction in production. I don't think it is too late because in the main they only have one set of true leaves.

The other possibility (although unlikely) is a nutrition problem. Feed with 1/8 strength liquid fertilizer. Try to keep the soil temperature between 75F-80F. This happens a lot with tomato seedlings but normally the growth rate is not affected. However, your plants are. But the good news is that 90% of the time when tomato plants have locked out potassium they recover without too much harm done.

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
I think that the main thing is that you are not keeping them warm enough. The reason I say this is because they have purple stems. Keeping the soil too cool will cause trace minerals and more importantly potassium to be locked out and this causes the purple stems. This will cause stunting and later on a reduction in production. I don't think it is too late because in the main they only have one set of true leaves.

The other possibility (although unlikely) is a nutrition problem. Feed with 1/8 strength liquid fertilizer. Try to keep the soil temperature between 75F-80F. This happens a lot with tomato seedlings but normally the growth rate is not affected. However, your plants are. But the good news is that 90% of the time when tomato plants have locked out potassium they recover without too much harm done.

Thank you very much. I have been keeping them in the sun, but it is by a door that is frequently used to exit and when the happens, is not very warm. I will move them to a warmer spot. Could you reiterate about what my plant are “”, and the good news.

thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you very much. I have been keeping them in the sun, but it is by a door that is frequently used to exit and when the happens, is not very warm. I will move them to a warmer spot. Could you reiterate about what my plant are “”, and the good news.

thanks again!
Your plants have been slightly stunted. If it took 10 days for them to sprout they should be larger than they are. So, what I mean what your plant "are" is that their growth rate has been slowed. And the "good news" is that with proper care they will recover and produce.

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Your plants have been slightly stunted. If it took 10 days for them to sprout they should be larger than they are. So, what I mean what your plant "are" is that their growth rate has been slowed. And the "good news" is that with proper care they will recover and produce.

Wonderful, thank you very much!

Ask a Question