Tomato problem

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like the other end to blossom end rot, maybe it's called other end rot? :D

DSC02787.JPG
DSC02788.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Well tell him the rot goes on the other end and to quit being complicated! Actually, would close inspection show insect activity? I have been having attacks at that juncture on my tomato, but the evidence is obvious. Still it is a favoured location for reasons unknown to me.

Perhaps a beeswax could be of use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks like the other end to blossom end rot, maybe it's called other end rot? :D

View attachment 69141View attachment 69142
What you've got there Zigs is almost the same as Blossom End Rot except instead of a lack of calcium your plant has had a lack of potassium and your plants probably has had a lot of water during the green stage of the fruit. This problem has a name, it is called Internal Whitening. As with BER and the inability to uptake calcium, Internal Whitening is the plants inability to uptake potassium. And as with BER, epsom salts helps stop the whitening. As the disease progresses it starts to rot the stem and if left on the plant long enough will cause fruit drop.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ta Chuck :)

Been using a homemade liquid feed made out of comfrey and nettles. I'll try throwing some wood ash and epsom salts in as well :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ta Chuck :)

Been using a homemade liquid feed made out of comfrey and nettles. I'll try throwing some wood ash and epsom salts in as well :)
Unlike BER this problem started a long time ago. And, unlike BER, the whiteness in the tomato began early in the fruiting stage. Again, unlike BER, the severity of the whiteness varies from tomato to tomato and variety to variety. Large fruited varieties usually aren't a solid white such as shown in your picture, but shows more as streaks of white in the flesh. The smaller varieties such as shown is usually more of a solid mass. I would bet that early on in the growth of the plant that it stayed too wet for a period of time. This would be a time while the fruit is still in the green stage and still immature enough to avoid cracking.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ta again Chuck :)

Picking them off to ripen in the outhouse, not getting much more of the problem at the moment :)

DSC02794.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ta again Chuck :)

Picking them off to ripen in the outhouse, not getting much more of the problem at the moment :)

View attachment 69360
The problem probably started with the oldest fruit during a wet period of time. The younger fruits or the fruits that set after the wet period shouldn't have the problem especially if you fertilized them.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The problem probably started with the oldest fruit during a wet period of time. The younger fruits or the fruits that set after the wet period shouldn't have the problem especially if you fertilized them.

Seem fine now Chuck :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Who is in charge of all those tomatoes in the picture? Have you been shackled into forced labor in preserving them or is Mrs Tetters going to give you a break?
Chuck - what sort of break do you mean exactly ...:devil:
I sowed the seeds, then I pricked the out into 7cm pots, then I potted them on into big pots. I allowed Zigs to organise the feeding regime.
I am probably to blame for watering them too much ...:sorry:

I don`t pick the tomatoes, I only turn them into pasta sauces and freeze them (when I`m not busy blanching and freezing all the other stuff that comes in from the garden) ....
I hope that answers your question, you cheeky monkey you :X3:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck - what sort of break do you mean exactly ...:devil:
I sowed the seeds, then I pricked the out into 7cm pots, then I potted them on into big pots. I allowed Zigs to organise the feeding regime.
I am probably to blame for watering them too much ...:sorry:

I don`t pick the tomatoes, I only turn them into pasta sauces and freeze them (when I`m not busy blanching and freezing all the other stuff that comes in from the garden) ....
I hope that answers your question, you cheeky monkey you :X3:
As everyone knows using one's brain is extremely tiring. Making life and death plant decisions is also a debilitating process, one in which Mr Zigs refuses to delegate to someone as lovely as you. His devotion is unlimited and any and all minor processes involved in gardening such as planting, potting, picking and watering should be gratefully undertaken wholeheartedly by you to let this great thinker ponder and make the important decisions.:geek:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I could answer that deep and somewhat dubious philosophy with one very simple word ...... but I don`t want to be chucked off the forum at this time ;)

Ask a Question