Tomato plant dying :(

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,

Over the past couple of years I've been growing a few plants on my balcony and it's gone ok, mostly super easy stuff like basil. This year I decided to throw a tomato plant in the mix, and while it seemed to grow well for the first few weeks it's started to die off and I'm not sure why. The bottom of the plant is fairly green as is the top, but the middle section of each vine is dying. It started right in the middle on both vines at roughly the same time, and expanded up/down to the point it's at now:

20200124_145229.jpg

I've googled this repeatedly and I can't find anything that matches... anything I find about leaves browning or yellowing talks about it being the whole plant and is usually about watering either too much or too little. I did get a little bit of that blossom rot thing where the bottom of the fruit goes black, but over time that's settled down and the couple of bits of fruit it has produced since have been alright although you can see in the pic a few of the new fruit have blossom rot.

I'm in Australia so it's summer right now... 30-35degC (~85-100degF) days are fairly common at the moment, so I've been watering at least every couple of days and on the hot days I've been watering daily. I let the top inch or two of soil dry before watering. I'm watering mostly with tap water (which has never been an issue with plants before, my tap water tests around 130ppm). I've given it a bit of fertilising using a dash of Seasol in the water every couple of weeks, as well as a small handful of a slow-release pellet fertiliser that I added once about two weeks after I potted it. I have no idea if this is the right thing to do haha, I just figured feeding the plant a little bit was probably a good idea.

I'm not really sure what to do.. could someone give me a little nudge in the right direction?

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Try mixing 50ml urine in 450ml water and give that to your plant.
I'm serious.
Also, move your plant to an east-facing wall, 35C (95f) is just too hot for tomatoes.
Welcome!

Ask a Question